Perfect Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Syrup

Let me introduce pumpkin pie… breakfast style!  These beauties really do taste just like pumpkin pie in a waffle.  Not too sweet, and the pumpkin pie spices come through perfectly without being overpowering.  Topped with cinnamon syrup, they are superb.  I love them. I adore them.  They are now a staple at my house.  Oh how I love pumpkin season!  Of course, I eat pumpkin bars, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and other pumpkin-y goodness all year.  What can I say?  The fall is my favorite season, so when I get a hankering for cool weather and beautiful fall leaves… I make something pumpkin.  But thankfully, it is the autumn season, so I can happily make pumpkin everything and no one objects!

Perfect Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Syrup

1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 tablespoons butter, melted and warm

Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl.  Whisk together to break apart the cornstarch.  Ad the remaining dry ingredients, and whisk to blend.  Add eggs, pumpkin, milk and melted butter to the dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined.  Preheat and lightly oil waffle maker.  Make according to your waffle maker directions.  Serve with whipped cream and cinnamon syrup.

(Pumpkin waffle recipe adapted from: http://pumpkinwaffles.wordpress.com/)

Cinnamon Syrup:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot over medium heat. Stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add baking soda and cinnamon. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the ‘fizz’ to reduce before serving.

Comments

1. Lara says

I just noticed that you abbreviated your feed in google reader and I wondered if you would consider undoing that or at least making what shows in the feed quite a bit longer (so it always shows the pictures and includes a bit more of the post)? I’ll be honest, that as a busy mom I have to make quick judgments about whether I want to Pin a recipe or print it off immediately and I would never click over to a website based on the title and the first three lines (which is all that is showing in google reader now). A few of your posts show very tiny pictures in google reader, but most of them don’t have any. The best abbreviated feeds I see are those that show at least half the post and include at least one large picture. I love your blog and hope that you will consider making the change for me and for other people who are just as busy. Thanks for considering.

2. Julie says

I also make pumpkin things year round. :) Cinnamon is listed twice with 2 different measurements. Was this supposed to be something else?

• Mindy says

Hey Julie,
      Thanks for the heads up! I don’t know how I missed that. I’ve corrected the recipe, so the ingredients should all be right now.

3. Jenn NG says

Hi Mindy,

I’ve been looking for a waffle maker that makes the exact same shape and size as the one you posted in your photo. Could you tell me the brand and model of your waffle maker?? Thanks so much!

• Mindy says

Hi Jenn NG,
      My waffle maker is called Waffle Baker Toastmaster Platinum. It is model 229S. I think we have had it for over ten years, and I can’t find it sold on the internet. However, I bought a cuisinart waffle maker for my sister-in-law that makes similar waffles a year and half ago. I think this is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WMR-CA-Round-Classic-Waffle/dp/B00006JKZN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352440253&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+waffle+maker. Hope that helps!

4. Célia says

Hi, this waffles look wonderful, i live in Portugal and we don’t have canned pumpkin puree available. Is it just pumpkin in the can? nothing else added? like spice, salt or sugar?
    We’re big waffles fans in my house, already made your overnight waffles, forgot to add the eggs in the morning :), still they were great!!

• Mindy says

Hi Celia,
      Yes! It is just pumpkin in a can. No spices, sugar, salt or anything else. Just pumpkin. I’m glad you liked the overnight waffles. Hope you like these, too!

5. Sheri says

My entire family thanks you for this recipee!!! What a perfect way to celebrate the first snowfall of the year!! YUMMY!!!

6. Stephanie says

Just made these. Delicious! My family loved them. I did not use the coconut extract in the syrup. Thank you for sharing this perfect fall breakfast.

• Mindy says

Stephanie,
      I really need to stop typing up my posts at midnight! There is NO coconut extract in the syrup, so good call not adding it! However, this recipe is pretty easy to turn into awesome coconut syrup. (All five of the sisters favorite syrup). Just swap the teaspoon of cinnamon for coconut extract straight across. I make coconut syrup all the time, and I think I just got mixed up when I typed up the recipe. Such a goof ball. But I’m glad your family loved the waffles! They are so good.

7. Jolene says

We made the cinnamon syrup when it had the coconut listed and thought it was to die for with your pumpkin pancakes. So when we came back to make it again we were surprised to not see it listed and started looking all over your site for the “right” recipe! Good thing I looked at the comments, we will stick with the Cinnamon/Coconut recipe!

• says

Jolene,
      That makes me laugh! It sounds like my mistake was not such a big mistake after all then. :) I’m planning to make these waffles again this week, and I am totally going to try adding the coconut to the cinnamon syrup. I love it with cinnamon alone and coconut alone, so I guess… why not both?

8. Heather or Kitchen Concoctions says

I absolutely love y’all’s recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider Syrup and make it quite often! So I am anxious to give this new pumpkin breakfast recipe a try!