Lemon Lime Ice Cream in Dainty Lemon Cups

by Mindy on June 9, 2011

I scream!
You scream!
We all scream for ICE CREAM!

We had a cool, wet, and lingering spring in Utah this year.  But the sun is finally shining and things are heating up.  It’s blissful!  I’ve been eyeing this quick and easy Lemon Lime Ice Cream recipe from my friend Ali at Lemon Poppy for months now.  I finally had the chance to make it for a sunny BBQ last week.  I wasn’t disappointed.  This ice cream is refreshing and delicious.  Not too heavy.  Perfect for a light summer dessert!

Lemon Lime Ice Cream

Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe
Recipe Source: “When Life Gives You Lemons…” from www.lemonpoppycake.com

5 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 quarts whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons lemon extract

Measure sugar into freezer tub of ice cream maker.  Add lemon and lime juices.  Add milk, cream and lemon extract.  Stir well.  Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.  Makes 6 quarts.*

*For the cuisinart ice cream maker, 1/4 of this recipe is perfect for one batch (I halfed the recipe and made two batches a couple days apart).  Whisk all ingredients except the cream in a separate bowl until sugar has dissolved, then add cream.  Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl and freeze as usual.

Lemon Cups:
Cut lemons lengthwise and scoop out pulp and seeds.  Place in the freezer.  Remove from freezer right before serving.

1 Heather at Kitchen Concoctions June 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This sounds delightful! I love the serving presentation for this. The lemon ‘bowls’ are too cute.

2 Ali June 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Mindy, you made my day! And that was soooooo cute about your son that likes my recipe books. Tell him that I am almost done with the “Kids” book and he gets one for FREE!!!

Also when I get these other books done we’ll have to do another give-a-way!

Thanks for always supporting and promoting Lemon Poppy..you are the best!

Love,

Ali

3 Amy June 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm

So excited to try this with my new ice cream maker!!:)

4 Valerie M. June 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

It sounds like a great dessert and I love it in the lemons!

5 Shaylin June 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

Thank you for the recipe, it looks amazing! I’m curious, what if you were to pour the unfrozen ice cream in the lemon cups and then freeze?

6 Mindy June 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hi Shaylin,

I don’t think it would work to pour the unfrozen ice cream into the lemon cups. It has the consistency of milk… so I think it would freeze like a popsicle instead of like ice-cream. I think you really need the churning action of the ice-cream maker for ice cream to form properly. But as always, if you try it make sure to tell us how it goes! I would be curious.

Mindy