Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

by Amy on March 8, 2011

These are the most amazing pancakes!!! Definitely another keeper for our growing pancake collection. I love the lemon-strawberry combination. I seriously think I might have to make these my birthday pancakes from now on (which means my hubby better start practicing…:). Maybe they taste a little bit more like a dessert than a regular pancake, and they take a few extra minutes to prepare, but I promise they are oh-so-worth it!

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

Submitted by Amy ~ The Sisters Cafe

PANCAKES:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt, plus a pinch for egg whites
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs, separated
1 heaping cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup milk
2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced
butter, for cooking the pancakes-optional
Powdered sugar, for dusting

STRAWBERRY COULIS:
1 quart strawberries, topped and quartered
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice

Toss the strawberries with the sugar and orange juice. Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.

After the berries and sugar have macerated and become very juicy, remove 1/2 of the berry mixture, put it in a food processor and puree until smooth. Return it to the rest of the berries and reserve until ready to use.

Sift together all of the dry ingredients for the pancakes in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, ricotta cheese, milk and lemon zest and juice, and mix until it becomes homogeneous. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients to the well and whisk until combined.

Preheat a griddle.

In another bowl, using a whisk or electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the flour mixture in thirds. Do this quickly and gently so the pancakes will be light and fluffy.

Melt small pats of butter onto the preheated griddle, and spread it around with a paper towel to remove any excess butter. (I usually just use non-stick cooking spray, but it’s up to you:) Spoon or ladle the pancake batter onto the prepared griddle to desired size of the pancake. When the top of the pancake is full of holes, like bubbles have risen to the surface and burst, the pancake is ready to flip. Flip the pancakes and cook until the bottom is golden brown.

Remove the pancakes from the grill to serving plates. Top with the macerated strawberry coulis and garnish with powdered sugar.

1 Maleah March 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

These are a favorite of mine too. I have tried strawberry sauce on them though. The original recipe is from Williams Sonoma.

2 Melanie Anne March 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

These sound soo good!! I love lemon and strawberry together too! And Ricotta is such a great source of protien! Yum! Thanks Amy:)

3 Brittany March 8, 2011 at 10:23 am

what a delightfully decadent breakfast! Perfect for a birthday!! They are beautiful and sound delicious. Can't wait to try them out!

4 Melissa March 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm

These sound so yummy, and with strawberry season right around the corner in my garden, I need to keep this recipe in mind for a special day. Sounds good Amy.

5 vincent March 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

6 vincent March 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

7 Heather March 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

These look amazing! I will be making these this weekend. Thanks!

8 Valerie March 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Sure wish I had these waiting for me when I got up in the morning. YUM!

9 Kim March 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm

We had these for dinner tonight and they were fantastic. My kids ate them up before the next batch was off of the griddle. When we ran out of strawberry sauce, they ate them with strawberry jam or Saskatoon berry syrup(it's a Canadian thing similar to wild blueberries). Thanks for a yummy dinner.

10 Amy March 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Maleah-Thanks for citing the origin of this recipe. I forgot to say in the post but I got the recipe from Anne Burrell-who might have got it from Williams Sonoma:). And I'm sure any sort of strawberry sauce would be delicious on these!

Kim-I'm so glad you liked these! The Saskatoon berry syrup sounds wonderful, I'll have to look into it with all the Canadians we're related to!

11 Mindy March 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Amy, these seriously look heavenly! You told me about these, and I have been waiting for you to post the recipe! I am thinking that I am DEFINITELY making these for the next special occasion. (I love that I keep finding excuses to cheat on my meal plan). lol!

12 Reyna March 10, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I made these for dinner tonight and I was in heaven. I didn't put sauce of any kind on them–I was too busy eating them off the griddle with my hands. Best. Pancakes. Ever.

13 Anonymous March 12, 2011 at 10:58 am

wWat is a meyer lemon and where do you get them in Utah?

14 Amy March 13, 2011 at 10:31 am

Meyer lemons are just a variation on a regular lemon. They are a cross between an orange and lemon. They are sweeter and are a lot less acidic than a regular lemon, but still have the lemony taste. They've become quite popular in cooking in the last few years.

I bought my meyer lemons at Walmart of all places! If you're having a hard time finding them at your local grocery stores, I know you can buy them online at http://www.lemonladies.com/index.html although it's much cheaper to pick them up at the store.

15 Desiree July 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I have made these twice since you first posted them and they are so yummy. Of course they are. This site never fails me. The first time I made them with your strawberry sauce which was yummy. The second time I tried them with a blueberry syrup recipe I have (combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice on the stove until becomes a thick sauce). So delicious! You should try it sometime. Thanks for all of the great recipes!

16 Haley Reeder June 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I made these tonight for dinner and they were divine! I wanted to mention that I couldn’t find Meyer Lemons at the grocery store this week…and I certainly wasn’t going to go to great lengths to find them…so I just used one regular lemon. I wasn’t sure if two regular lemons would be too much, and the one was just great. Although next time I may do about one and a half regular lemons until I can find Meyer Lemons.