Easy Pretzel Turtles

In our home, Monday night is reserved for Family Home Evening (FHE). We gather in our family room for an opening song and prayer, followed by a scripture and short gospel related lesson and some “talents” (aka a time to be the center of attention and show off). But the BEST part of the night for my children is the treats. FHE just wouldn’t be complete without treats at the end. We switch off who is in charge of each of the components of FHE and getting to pick and make the treats is a favorite responsibility. These little pretzel turtles get chosen quite often. My boys LOVE these little guys. They taste great, come together in minutes and don’t mess up the kitchen! “Easy peasy” as my 5 year old likes to say. :) My boys are not big fans of nuts, but let me tell you, pecans in place of the M&Ms taste amazing!! With only 3 ingredients, they are simple, fun and delicious! Perfect for a family home evening, after school snacks, treats for the neighbors, a party …and the excuses to make them goes on and on!
Weekly Menu ideas here
Also, recently I taught a class on the importance of family dinner. Tomorrow I will post my class notes–full of ideas and tips that have worked for me, for stress-free family dinners here.
Easy Pretzel Turtles
Submitted by Melanie ~ The Sisters Cafe
Small Pretzels
Rolo candies
M&Ms or pecans
Preheat the oven to 350. Place small pretzels on a cookie sheet (I like to line it with parchment paper for super easy clean up). Top each pretzel with a rolo candy. Place in the oven for 3-4 minutes. The rolos will look shiny but still holding their shape. Remove from oven and push a M&M or pecan on top of each one. Let firm up for 5 minutes and enjoy!

Comments

1. Julie says

It's funny that you guys do a "talent" for your FHE. We just added it to our list too. What are somethings your boys do as talents? Would you mind sharing some ideas? Thanks.

2. Melanie Anne says

Hi Julie,
    My boys "talents" for FHE consist of everything from the BYU 'Haka dance' to telling a goofy knock knock jokes to juggling balls. My 3 year old likes to dance and spin with everyone clapping for him and my older boys usually have to be prodded to share a magic trick or something that will delight their little brothers. Once in awhile I can get someone to play the piano or recite a poem. Good luck with your "talents"! It is pretty fun!

3. noemptychairs says

We love these at our house too. I like to use the criss-cross pretzel snaps. For a slightly more elegant look (like for Christmas trays) I use caramels (cut in half) topped with a chocolate chip (I like the Ghirardelli bittersweet ones that are a little larger)and then topped with a pecan half or peanut M&M.

Love all your ideas! Kelly

4. Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) says

I love these and make them every Christmas. Although, I call them Pretzel Rolo Bites. I think Pretzel Turtles is a much better title. :)

5. Summer says

Awesome! I'm going to do that for our treat for FHE. Thanks. I'm also so glad I came here because this week I have to give a 15 min. blurb about eating as a family. Thankyou for sharing. I'll look for your notes for ideas!!
    ps. we had that potatoe leek soup again and just love that!!