Oh my my my this recipe was FANTASTIC! Seriously the perfect summer evening meal! I followed this recipe to the tee and we loved it, but I was thinking…the chicken from this amazing Chili’s fajita recipe we posted here would be awesome with this salad too! Next time I make the Chili’s fajitas I will just make a double batch and freeze half the chicken in the marinade for making this yummy salad another time. That would be a time saver for sure! Also, I think that some cheese would be a great addition…maybe Cotija (Mexican crumbling cheese) or grated pepper jack…YUM!! Anyway, this salad really hit the spot and the leftovers the next day were just as good!
In other news, I shared an additional recipe (of sorts) on Melandboys today…last week on an especially hot day while my boys were red faced trying to play street hockey I made this old ‘Cowboy Elixir using Apple Cider Vinegar, ‘ that claims to refresh and magically energize you after hours spent working in the sun. Supposedly it is an old trick of cowboys and field hands that really works. Have you heard of this? I guess Apple Cider vinegar has some amazing health benefits. Crazy!
Sizzling Chicken Fajita Salad
submitted by Melanie~thesisterscafe.com
12oz chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, cut into sticks or 1 bell pepper, sliced
1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil, divided
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1/2 avocado, chopped
garnish with cheese (Cotija or Pepperjack) if desired
For the marinade:
juice of 1/2 lime
1-1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 jalapaeno, seeded and minced
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
For the Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette:
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup cilantro
2 Tablespoons canola or vegetabke oil
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
salt & pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl then add chicken and toss to coat. Cover then let sit and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette in a food processor or blender then process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 Tablespoon oil in a large cast iron pot or skillet, or heavy-bottomed skillet on high. Remove garlic clove from chicken then carefully add in one layer on the bottom and cook for 1 minute undisturbed. Stir then saute until cooked through, about another minute or two. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/2 Tablespoon oil in pot then add onions and zucchini (or bell pepper, if using.) Cook for 1 minute, undisturbed, then stir and saute until tender, about another minute. Add chicken back into the pot then stir to combine.
- Divide lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado between two plates then top with cooked chicken. Drizzle with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette. Enjoy
Recipe Source: Iowa Girl Eats