White Texas Sheet Cake

by Melanie on September 26, 2012

One of my all time  favorite desserts is this Texas Sheet Cake I posted a couple of weeks ago.  Seriously YUMMY!  Well, I got wind of a recipe for a white Texas Sheet Cake and had to try it out.  My my my–this cake is DIVINE!  Moist and buttery with a hint of almond in the frosting.  It really was equally fantastic to the popular chocolate version.  I love that it is so easy to make, comes together quick with ingredients I have on hand and the best part…it can be made ahead of time.  In fact, it is actually better the second day.  Now for those of you who are not fans of nuts, I have a little secret for you:

I left it off the majority of my cake:)  You can definitely leave them off, and it will still be over the top fantastic!!  I was bringing this treat to church for the young women that I work with (ages 12-18)  and wasn’t sure that nuts would be very popular with that age group.  I was right–most of the girls requested their slice sans nuts:) All of them  loved it though, and so did I!  I brought home the leftovers for my family who also sang it’s praises!  This cake really is amazing!  I am so glad I tried it out and will be making white texas sheet cake for years to come!  I was thinking it would be fun to have both varieties for the next party or gathering we have.  Either way, I have decided you just can’t go wrong with Texas Sheet Cake!

White Texas Sheet Cake

1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Frosting:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c buttermilk or milk
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla if you prefer)
pinch of salt

1 c. chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a small saucepan, bring 1 c. butter and water to a boil. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt, mix to combine. Add hot butter mixture to wet, stir. Add buttermilk or sour cream to the cake mixture, blend. Then, add eggs and vanilla, blend. Grease large jelly roll pan, and pour batter into pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until done. Do not overcook, the cake should not be brown! Let cake cool 20 minutes before making frosting, you want it to be slightly warm when you frost it.
For the frosting, in a small saucepan, combing the 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. buttermilk or milk, bring to a boil. In a large bowl, measure out 3 cups of powdered sugar and a pinch of salt, pour hot mixture and almond extract over powdered sugar, and mix to combine, adding more sugar to reach desired consistency. You don’t want the frosting to be thick. Since the mixture is hot, as it cools, it will harden. Look for the consistency of slightly runny pudding.  Spread frosting on the cake quickly as the frosting cools fast!  Sprinkle with chopped nuts.  OR you can add the nuts to the frosting before you frost the cake.

Recipe Source:  TDF Recipes

1 Britt September 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’ve never heard of white Texas sheet cake- how fun! Looks delish too. Love ur idea of doing both for an event!

2 Julie October 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Love this with fresh berries…sans nuts. :)

3 Melanie February 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

I LOVe that idea!! i am going to have to try that when berries are in season again!

4 tonya October 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

Oh wow, I think I’ll try this right away!

Just thinking…
I’m supposed to make a cake today for a small baby shower-ish get-together. I was planning to make a plain sheet cake. Instead, I think I’ll do this without nuts, but with a few plastic cake toppers. ;o) Perfect timing to find this gem – thanks!!!

5 tonya October 8, 2012 at 5:23 am

Just checking back in to say that I did make this for the baby shower. I did not find cake toppers that I liked, but I knew that the expectant mommy likes pecans. Made it w/ pecans (mixed in the frosting) & it was really good!! Everyone started w/ small first slices so we all ate seconds. Thanks for another great recipe!

6 Melissa October 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Just wanted you to know that we made this for a little family get together with Bart’s family and this cake was devoured! Not having had chocolate in 9 years this was such a fun and delicious find, because I do love sheet cake! I also have a recipe for peanut butter sheet cake that is to die for if you’re ever interested. Also, this was definitely a Sisters Cafe Conference Weekend. We also made Overnight Apple French Toast on Sunday Morning! It was our 2nd time making it and has become a family favorite! Thanks for all your sharing.

7 Melanie February 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

Melissa–I would LOVE that PB sheet cake recipe! Please
Thank you!!

8 Brooke April 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I would love the peanut butter sheet cake recipe too! :)

9 Katie October 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi,
I have been along time reader. Thanks for your site ! I was wondering if this cake could be made in a 13x 9 inch pan ? Thanks in advance , Katie

10 Melanie February 1, 2013 at 9:29 am

Oh Katie,
I am so sorry I missed this question way back in October! I would not bake it in a 9×13–altough maybe you could. I think the texas sheet cake is so good because it is thin. That is just my little opinion. Let me know if you do back it in a 9×13–I will be curious if it was still good and how long you would have to bake it.

11 J Whetstone October 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

It’s a BAD CAKE, BAD, BAD, BAD CAKE!!!! It’s a diet wrecking; self control smashing absolutely undermining vision of lovely, sweet ambrosia…. Take it away! Take it away!

12 Melanie February 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

ha ha–you are so funny:)

13 k January 31, 2013 at 1:26 pm

i made this for my son’s pre-k class because i needed something square and blue. tinted frosting! yay! i can’t tell you how excited i was that they only needed most of the cake and i had to eat the rest. :) SO good! i’m so glad i got to try it…definitely going to make this again.

14 Melanie February 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

Thank you K!! I love it too!!

15 bobo brown February 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

the best cake i have ever tasted in my whole life!!!!!!!!!

16 jackie February 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi There-
I had Texas sheet cake at a recent party and fell in love! I found the recipe on your website, but adapted mine to gluten free as my kids have Celiac disease. It’s just as delicious with GF flour. My kids just requested I make another it was so good! Thanks!