Peanut Ginger Chicken with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice

Let me just say, this dish is FABULOUS!  Seriously, one of my new favorites.  I found it while surfing recipes online. :)  This was from Hilary’s Health Blog.  The peanut-ginger chicken is yummy, the rice is sweet and creamy, but the mango salsa just makes it out-of-this-world. Yum!  Be sure to use a soft, ripe mango.  Who would think that mango, cucumber and cilantro would make the yummiest salsa?!
My husband was raving about how delicious dinner was.  We were actually babysitting our friends’ four kids, so we had seven kids in the house including ours (all under the age of 7 :), and I was planning on feeding them after my husband and I ate our dinner.  Well, he liked it so much that he said, “Let’s not feed this to all the kids.  Let’s just keep it and give them something else…” so we made ham, cheese, & tomato sandwiches for them out of the French Bread I had just taken out of the oven. :)  So funny!

I know that this recipe might seem intimidating. But when you break it down, it is actually one of the simplest meals ever:
Step 1 – make the marinade the night before and put the raw chicken in it.
Step 2 – chop up the mango and cucumber and mix up the salsa that afternoon.
Step 3 – just before dinner, put the rice on to cook.
Step 4 – cook the chicken.

simple.

Peanut-Ginger Chicken with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice
Submitted by Erin  ~  thesisterscafe.com

Peanut-Ginger Chicken Marinade
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I prefer using most of a 3-lb bag of defrosted chicken tenderloins)
½ cup boiling water
½ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup bottled chili sauce
3 T. soy sauce
2 T. olive oil
2 T. vinegar
1 T. grated fresh ginger or 1 t. ground ginger (I use fresh)

In a medium mixing bowl, gradually stir water into peanut butter. (The mixture will stiffen at first.) Stir in chili sauce, soy sauce, olive oil, vinegar, and ginger. Add chicken; stir to coat it with marinade. Chill in refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.

Mango Salsa
1 cup chopped fresh mango
1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
3 ½ T. sugar
1 T. canola or olive oil
1 T. vinegar
1 T. lime juice
½ c. fresh cilantro, chopped

In a medium mixing bowl, combine chopped mango, cilantro, cucumber, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.

Coconut Rice
2 c. coconut milk
1 ½ c. white rice
1 c. water
3 ½ T. sugar
½ t. salt

Combine the coconut milk, rice, water, sugar, and salt for the rice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir once, then cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm until serving. (You can also use your rice cooker.)

To Serve
At dinner time, grill the chicken. Or, in my case, I layered the chicken in a broiler-safe pan lined with tin foil (I spooned the excess marinade over the chicken) and put it 10-12 inches under the broiler for 5-7 minutes on both sides. The chicken should have slightly blackened edges. (Similar to our Chicken Tikka Masala recipe, that I love.)  Chicken baked this way always turns out moist and tender for me. Serve chicken with the mango salsa over the hot coconut rice. Makes 6 servings.

Comments

• Erin says

Kristie, I made this with the rest of a bottle of regular Chili Sauce I had on-hand, which had the subtitle “Ketchup with a Kick!” I also had an open bottle of Sweet Chili Sauce, which would have been fine too, I bet. I’ll probably use it next time.

• Erin says

You’ll find different brands at the grocery store, but I don’t have a particular brand to recommend. If you can’t find any at the grocery store, let me know and I will look at the brands and the location of the Chili Sauces at my grocery stores to try to help!

• Erin says

As an update, I have used Sweet Chili Sauce every time since that first time I made it, and it works perfectly.

1. Britt says

Oh wow that looks incredible!!! I seriously can’t wait to try it. I’m so mad because we ate a ripe mango just yesterday! I wish I had saved it for this! :) also, I don’t think this looks hard at all. Especially w your do-ahead tips. Thnx Erin!

2. Melissa says

Wow! I am definitely trying this one! The combination of flavors has got to be amazing! Thanks for sharing. You all have such amazing taste!

3. says

Ooo! Love it! It looks pretty healthy, too. I thought it was awesome how Jed thought it was too good to waste on children’s taste buds. I’ve totally thought that sometimes, too. Can’t wait to make this.

4. Julie says

This looks so scrumptious! Thanks for sharing! Question: do you think I could substitute a ripe peach for the mango? I’m allergic to mango…weird and devastating, I know! Thanks!

5. Jeanette Beadle says

Thank you. Your timing is perfect. I just made a bunch of coconut milk and I was trying to come up with ways to use it all!

6. Lori says

This looks so yummy! I just got back from the store with all the ingredients but wasn’t sure what kind of vinegar to use. Any suggestions?

7. Marcie says

Just made it tonight! I loved it! I think I may cut back on the peanut butter a bit next time, and throw in a little lime juice into the marinade, and more ginger. Loved the mango salsa, so delicious!! Oh, and I ate mine as lettuce wraps in place of the rice, and it was delic!

8. Bridget says

I made this for dinner last night and oh my gosh it was SO good! I had everything but chili sauce so I made it without and added a little chili oil (for some kick) to the marinade instead. I also added some chopped red bell pepper to the mango salsa. I love the color it added. Next time I make this I’ll use fresh ginger (I used ground this time) and chili sauce. Thanks for another great recipe!

Question, do you use regular coconut milk? That’s what I used last night, but I was wondering if it would taste just as good with light…

9. Pauline says

I made this last night and it’s been a while since I got a “that was really good” from my husband. And I did use LIGHT coconut milk (I had to scrape the inside of the can to get all of the good stuff out). It will definitely be back on the menu and SOON. I served it with a salad of romaine, cole slaw mix, green onions, chow mein noodles, slivered almonds, and an Asian Salad dressing. Thanks, Erin!

10. Britt says

Made this for dinner last night and it was fantastic!! I used Sriracha hot chili sauce and it was SPICY! But eric and I loved it like that! Next time I may cut back on it or use a diff chili sauce so the kids enjoy it more! :) loved the peanut flavor with the mango salsa- especially the coconut rice too. The cucumbers in the salsa were perfect and added a coolness of flavor to the spicy, sweet dish. Mmmmm! We r having leftovers tonight! :)

11. Julie says

I’m the one who’s allergic to mango, and I finally made this with a large ripe peach, and it was a HOMERUN! So scrumptious, and I totally “get” why you fed the kids grilled cheese…I wish I had followed your lead. They loved the chicken, but I wanted more leftovers! Thanks for a great recipe!

12. Stacie says

I made this a couple week ago and it was fantastic!! The coconut rice set it over the top! We loved it. :)

13. Shannon says

We didn’t have access to our grill so I decided to make the marinade and heat 1/2 c of it with some pre-cooked chicken on the stove. It ended up a little too rich that way. I’m guessing on the grill the flavor is more subtle. I’ll have to try that next time. I loved the coconut rice. With the smell alone, I knew I’d be hooked! Thanks!

• Erin says

Hey Shannon, I bet you are exactly right. You could also try broiling the chicken and sauce the way I did. I think preparing it that way has a similar effect as grilling. I hope you give it another try, because it is so good! :)

14. Brooke says

How do you know if your pan is “broiler safe”? I would really love to try this recipe but don’t want any mishaps :)

• Erin says

Hey Brooke, in every home that I have moved into there is always a slotted broiler pan and a deep (1.5 inch deep) broiler pan in the drawer underneath the oven. These pans come with the oven. Do you have these? If you don’t know what they look like, just google “broiler pan”. If you do not have a set, you can probably buy them… I know my regular cookie sheets are not broiler safe. I really hope you can get something to work, because this is the BEST RECIPE EVER. You will love it!

15. Jane says

Made this tonight for my husband thinking he would like it. The first thing he asked was if I could make it in “large quantities” for company :) I am typically not a peanut butter lover so I added a bit more chili sauce, vinegar, and lime to the marinade…it was absolutely delicious.
    Thank you so much!

16. Cathy says

Do you think you could substitute brown rice for the white? I’ve made this twice and absolutely live it, but really am trying to go with complex carbs. Thoughts? :)

• Erin says

Hey Cathy, I haven’t tried brown rice in this particular recipe, but I bet it would work fine. If I remember right, brown rice sometimes requires a little more liquid than white rice. You could add 1/4 cup extra liquid (leftover coconut milk if there is any, or water) if you wanted to. I say it’s worth a try! Let me know how it works for you and I might try it myself next time.
      I am so glad that you like this recipe! It’s still one of my very favorites!

• says

Oh definitely! A salad would be great with this! We have a few great salads on The Sisters Cafe that you could browse for ideas, if you wanted to. Happy dining! :)