Rocky Road Brownies

This brownie recipe is FANTASTIC!  SO much better than using a brownie mix!  The base is thick and fudgy,  topped with ooey gooey marshmallow and a perfect chocolate fudge frosting.   YUM!   I left the nuts our for my no- nut-loving family and the brownies were great, but personally I LOVE the nuts in this recipe and would suggest using them.  This recipe makes a lot so it is the perfect treat to share at a gathering.  This recipe comes from my old neighbor and friend Helene P.  They are a family favorite of theirs and I can see why!  Mmmmm

*Today is the last day to enter the IHeart Organizing giveaway for a Personalized Family Binder Printables Kit (a $50 value) at my other blog Melandboys.  This is one of my best purchases–over 30 printables to keep your family organized and life in order!

Rocky Road Brownies
submitted by Melanie~The Sisters Cafe

Brownies:
1 cup butter
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 c sugar
4 eggs
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 c walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 lb marshmallows, cut in half or use mini marshmallows
pinch of salt

Melt butter and add chocolate.  Remove from heat and add sugar, then one egg at a time, beating after each addition.  Add salt, flour, vanilla and nuts.  Mix well.

Bake in a 12×15 greased pan at 350 for 25 minutes.  While still hot, place marshmallows very close together on top.  Return to oven for 5 minutes.  Do not brown or let crust.  top should be soft.  Cool completely and then frost.

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/3 c milk or cream
3-4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Melt the butter and chocolate together and then combine all ingredients.  Frost brownies.  For best results allow to stand for 12 hours (Fat Chance:)

If you double this recipe, use a 1 inch deep cookie sheet and it will fill the whole thing to the top.

Comments

1. Nancy Zundel says

These look fantastic, I am going to have to try these…one question. You said squares of unsweetened chocolate…is each square a 1 oz square?

2. Rachel S. says

I can’t wait to try these! I was, literally, searching for this recipe just a few days ago. It’s been years since I had these brownies and couldn’t find the recipe. One of my favorite combinations. I think I might add peanuts.

• Melanie says

Sonia,
      Yes you do melt the butter and chocolate for the frosting. I will note that in the recipe! Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

3. Kerri Beck says

This is probably a silly question… recipe calls for 15″ x 12″ pan, and a 1″ deep cookie sheet to double the recipe. I haven’t had much luck finding a 15″ x 12″ pan. Is your 15 X 12 pan a cake pan? When say a 1″ deep cookie sheet, do you mind elaborating on the dimension of the cookie sheet? Are you perhaps referring to a 1/2 sheet pan?

Thanks!

• Melanie says

HI Kerri,
      That is not a silly question! I iwll tell you that the pan I use for this recipe is my Pampered Chef Stoneware rectangular bar pan. It is perfect. I have never doubled it because this recipe already makes a lot! If you are baking for a crowd and you double it then, yes use a 1/2 sheet pan. That should work great!

4. Rachel S. says

I just wanted to come back and do an update since I made these. I baked mine in a 9×13 pan for the listed time and they came out perfect. The brownie part of these are to die for! Really, really good. The whole combination is fantastic.