Lemon Rice

by Mindy on July 7, 2011

This lemon rice is awesome!  The recipe is pretty darn easy, and but it feels gourmet.  Don’t you just love recipes like that? Perfect for company.  For some reason, I am not a huge fan of regular old white or brown rice.  But give it some pizzazz, and I am lover.

PS I am posting from sunny Lake Powell!  Hope you are all having a fun 4th of July week, too!

Lemon Rice
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

4 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
3/4 cup celery, diced
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 bay leaf

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add green onion until softened.  Add rice and stir to coat.  Add celery, chicken broth, lemon juice, zest, pepper and bay leaf and bring to boil.  Once rice is boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.  Toss rice and let stand for 5 minutes.

Recipe Source: When Life Gives You Lemons…

1 Brittany July 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

that looks delish Mindy! Pretty picture too – so simple. I’m jealous you’re in LP – wish I was there with you! have fun!! :)

2 Lisa July 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Do you think this would be just as good with brown rice? Just trying to eat healthier!

3 Mindy July 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Hi Lisa,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you…vacay and the computer, you know? :) Anyway, yes! Brown rice is still great. In fact, I like this recipe for plain old white or brown rice because I think they need a little pizzaz most of the time. Hope you like it!

Mindy

4 Bethany July 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I am with you on the plain old rice thing. Just made this and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing!

5 Brandy July 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

I wonder if this would be good to substitute Quinoa in for the rice? Trying to find more uses for that healthy grain!

6 Mindy July 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’ve never tried Quinoa with this recipe, but I imagine it would be good… let me know how it turns out if you try it!

7 Alessandra July 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I love lemon rice, try lemon couscous too! Just pour the hot broth over the cous cous, let it ‘fluff up’ then add lemon juice, olive oil and chopped parsley and/or mint. :-)

Ciao
A.

8 Mindy July 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Oh, our mom used to make couscous growing up, but I haven’t had it forever. I will definitely have to try it. I love the idea of fresh mint, too… thanks for the tip.

9 Heather Bell August 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I have been wanting to try this for a long time and now I have the perfect recipe to try it with. http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/2010/09/breaded-garlic-chicken-in-lemon-butter.html

bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

10 Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage September 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

This was soooo good! I am really looking forward to making it again soon!