Chocolate-Caramel Slice

by Erin on July 15, 2011

My sister-in-law, Kylie, sent me this amazing recipe which was printed in Bon Appetit Desserts. Apparently of all the recipes in the cookbook, this Chocolate-Caramel Slice by Bill Granger was the most desired recipe and so they ‘revealed’ it on the Bon Appetit blog. And let me tell you, it is AMAZING.  I love it, love it, love it. The crust is buttery and crumbly, the caramel is gooey but still holds it shape, the chocolate is rich and smooth, and the sprinkle of sea salt on the top makes it simply irresistible! Have I convinced you yet? If you have any lingering doubts, I’ll add this: And it’s pretty easy, too. Seriously. At first glance it may look daunting, but read the instructions and you will see that the three steps (crust, caramel, chocolate) are each rather simple and quick. I made this entire dessert in one hour. (I had to put the warm crust in the freezer to cool it down quicker.) You don’t have to rush it like that, but I’m just saying…  Just make sure you have it done at least one hour before serving, so it can firm up in the fridge. Anyway, I love this and have made it a few times in the last couple weeks. I think I’ll make it again next week, too… I’m sure I can come up with some excuse. That salty-sweet combination is divine!

Chocolate-Caramel Slice

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, diced
2 tablespoons golden syrup (such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup) or dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Glaze
6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons whipping cream
Flaked sea salt (such as Maldon)

PREPARATION:

For Crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 11x7x2-inch metal baking pan. (A glass 9×13 will do.) Blend first 4 ingredients in processor. Add butter. Using on/off turns, blend until coarse meal forms. Add 1 tablespoon ice water and egg yolk. Blend until moist clumps form. (See picture of the crumbly crust dough; I usually blend it until it is a smidgeon more clumpy than shown.)

Press dough onto bottom of pan; pierce all over with fork. Bake until golden, piercing if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.

For Caramel Topping:
Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, butter melts, and mixture comes to boil. Attach candy thermometer to side of pan. Boil gently until caramel is thick and temperature registers 225 degrees F, whisking constantly, about 6 minutes. Pour caramel evenly over crust; cool 15 minutes to set.

For Chocolate Glaze:
Meanwhile, melt chocolate with cream in microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring occasionally. Spread chocolate over warm caramel; sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour.

PREPARE AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.

Cut dessert lengthwise into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 5 or 6 slices. Transfer to platter and serve.

1 Brittany July 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

WOW!!!!!! That looks amazing! I love the sea salt on top – yum. I know what I’m making the next time we “need” dessert! :)

2 Becki (Becki's Whole Life) July 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Wow, those look amazing. Love the sea salt sprinkled on top, too! These would be a great afternoon treat to take into the office. Thanks for posting this!

3 Mindy July 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Wow! Those look amazing. I can’t wait to make them. And the sea salt on top is such a great touch. Ever since Melanie posted to that on chocolate chip cookies, I have been doing it. And Griff and I love it that way. I really can’t wait to try these.

PS I just looked at the other two comments, and it makes me laugh that we all started out with “wow!”. haha

4 [email protected] that's some good cookin' July 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm

You sold me on this from those few simple words about the crust. And a caramel that is both gooey and still holds its shape? That is definitely a claim to fame.

5 Melanie Christensen July 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Oh my goodness–these LOOK amazing!!!! Yum! I can’t wait to try them Erin!!

6 Erin(StevensSisters) July 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm

YUM! These look so amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)

7 Keersten July 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I am so excited to make this! Is it alright to double the batch? Will the caramel turn out okay?

8 Erin July 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hi Keersten, I haven’t doubled the recipe myself so I can’t say for sure, but I don’t imagine that would be a problem… Let me know how it turns out for you!

9 Alana July 18, 2011 at 9:37 am

I love this magazine! I look forward to it every month.

10 Shannon August 16, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I lady that I worked with made this … it is SO YUMMY!

11 wendyb964 October 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I’m very familiar with these as my mum is from London.. We’ve always called them Colette’s cookies as our Irish/English nanny made them often. She used Lyle’s Golden Syrup (aka treacle) and no sweetened condensed milk, and a broken up Cadbury milk chocolate bar on top of the hot caramel layer. They are, indeed, super simple, awesome, and gobbled up quickly (never got into the salty sweet thing.) Probably even easier with the sweetened, cond. milk, but please do not hesitate to put this in your holiday, heck, any day, bar cookie rotation. By all means, add the salt if that’s your preference. In that case, I’d prob use semi- or bitter-sweet chocolate on top.

12 anna November 19, 2011 at 9:42 pm

were the ones in the picture made in a 11×7 or 9×13

13 Erin November 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

I used a glass 9×13 for the caramel slice pictured. Hope you try it out! It is to die for! And I should mention in the recipe that I only ever use semi-sweet chocolate on the top, rather than bittersweet.

14 Eulalia May 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Hey! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

15 Brittany August 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

made these for a baby shower and they were a hit! Simply delish – thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

16 Marnie August 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm

We discovered these in London a few years ago. They call them Millionaire Bites in the UK. They are seriously one of my biggest temptations. We picked up several packages in Gibraltar this past spring break as well. Not sure what I will do now that I have a recipe to make them any time I want. Yikes! Thanks for sharing. :)