Tres Leche Cupcakes

Oh my goodness these cupcakes were sooo good!!  Have you ever had Tres Leche at your favorite Mexican restaurant?  Well it is a  moist and sweet treat made from 3 milks, thus the name.  Anyway, I made these little cupcakes for Cinco de Mayo along with little mini chili pepper pinatas and they were a HUGE hit!  I will definitely be making these more often and not just for Cinco de Mayo.  My husband said they were the best cupcakes he ever had!  They were DELICIOUS!

And I will post the directions for the mini pinatas on Melandboys soon.  They were super easy and fun!

But if you are looking  for a fun craft to do with your kids now check out these Crayon Cars–so fun!!

And don’t forget to enter the $100 Best Buy Giftcard giveaway here.

Tres Leches Cupcakes

I used this recipe for the cupcakes–it is a little more substantial.
Easy White Cupcakes

1 box white cake mix (Duncan Hines super moist is best, and yes that’s not what’s in my photo)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white cake)
1 tsp almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients with a  whisk, then add wet ingredients. Beat for two minutes until fluffy..

Fill paper liners 3/4 full and bake according to box directions.  Makes 36 cupcakes.

Tres Leche Cupcakes

24 cupcakes

8 oz. evaporated milk

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 pint whipping cream, divided
3-4 Tbsp. Hershey’s Caramel Syrup  (I left this out)
Sliced fresh fruit (like strawberries, mangoes, and kiwis, optional)
Juice of 1 lime (optional)–I did not do this
Bake cupcakes according to recipe directions in FOIL LINERS. This is very important because it helps contain the milk mixture.
After cupcakes have cooled, use a bamboo skewer to poke several holes in each cupcake. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened  condensed milk, and 3/4 c. of whipping cream. Use a ladle to pour the  milk mixture over each cupcake. Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator  until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, beat the remaining 1 1/4 c. of whipping cream until  medium peaks form. Gently fold in the caramel syrup and pipe or dollop  the whipped cream on each of the cupcakes. If desired, toss the sliced  fruit with the lime juice and top the cupcakes with the sliced fruit.  Serve on a small plate with a dessert spoon.

Recipe Source:  Our Best Bites

Comments

1. Heather at Kitchen Concoctions says

I love tres leches cake, but I have never thought to make them in cupcake form! And I can’t wait for the piñata tutorial because it is so cute!

2. Brittany says

those sound so fun to make! And after the rave reviews you told me about, I can’t wait to taste them! I agree with Heather too – those little peppers are adorable! They don’t look easy… I’m curious how to make them… :)

3. Nancy says

Ever thoughtful Melanie was kind enough to bring some of these over to her neighbors when she made them and they were AMAZING! I can’t wait to make them myself!!

Thanks Melanie!
    Rick and Nancy

4. Ana F. says

This sounds and looks amazing! We are Mexican food lovers in this house and I’m sure this is going to be a hit!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Have a great long weekend!!!

xoxo, Ana
    My (Newly)Wed Life

5. Cheryl says

These were fantastic! I made them and got a lot of compliments on them. I’m making them for an upcoming baby shower I’m hosting. They did get messy when using a ladle to pour the tres leches mixture over the cupcake. It ran down the side of the cupcake liner and made it quite sticky. I think next time I am going to inject the tres leches mixture into the cupcake using a little dropper. Hope it works!

6. Zan says

I made these cupcakes for a friend’s future hubby for his birthday and OMG, this recipe is amazing. I was beyond happy with the results. The only change I made was to fold in the caramel into the whipped topping I made and also add a bit to the top for decoration. Thanks for sharing. This recipe is definite being added to my list of faves.

7. บราวนี่ says

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t
    loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking
    issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same
    outcome.

8. Denise Lynn says

I am thinking you mean either use the white cake mix or make the cake from scratch but do not mean adding the cake mix with the rest of the ingredients as listed ~~is that correct ????~~so more of an either or thing ???? am7f

• Melanie says

Denise–Yes you add the rest of the ingredients to the cake mix. It is kind of silly–but it makes a great cupcake! A little more substantial for all the “leaches” you pour on after:)