Mango Quinoa Salad

by Mindy on June 2, 2011

*Sigh*  I love summer.  We had a barbecue last night with fresh watermelon, marinated chicken, roasted cabbage, and this fabulous Mango Quinoa Salad.  Everything just tasted like summer.  It is so much easier to eat healthy when tons of fruits and veggies are available and in season, don’t you think?  I am such a fan of quinoa, too.  Did you know quinoa is a plant source for complete protein? That means that it has all the amino acids in the correct proportions to support human life.  I don’t know of any other plant sources of complete protein, do you? Well, back to the salad… it is pretty darn good with flavorful mangos, crisp sweet red pepper, a little green onion, and my favorite herb, Cilantro!  This salad definitely stands on its own two legs, but I think it would be awesome over chicken or even with some multigrain chips!

Mango Quinoa Salad
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

2 cups prepared quinoa (This is 1/2 cup dry.  I like it better cooked in chicken broth)
1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 handful chopped cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (I use 2T, but I really like lime!)
salt
freshly cracked black pepper

Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.  Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.  In a small bowl combine vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice.  Whisk until smooth and pour on top of salad.  Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for at least one hour before serving.

Recipe Source: Our Best Bites

1 Corinna Marie June 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

Oh, how I adore mangoes. And cilantro! I’ve never had quinoa, but I’d say this is a great way to introduce it to my family.

2 Beccy June 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I got this from Wikipedia, because I was curious. “Some foods contain all the essential amino acids on their own in a sufficient amount to qualify as a “complete protein”. Complete protein foods that also obtain the highest possible PDCAAS score of 1.0 are certain dairy products (including whey), egg whites, and soy protein isolate. Other foods, such as amaranth, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae[citation needed], buckwheat, hempseed, meat, poultry, soybeans, quinoa, seafood, and spirulina also are complete protein foods, but may not obtain a PDCAAS score of 1.0.[1][6"

3 Mindy June 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks for taking the time to copy and paste that Beccy!

4 brittany June 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

oh wow that looks fabulous! I have got to buy some quinoa – it sounds really cool!! Eric just read about it on his own recently and is all “into” it too…haha! :) Wish I could have been there at the bbq – sounds so fun!!

5 Kim June 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m not really good at leaving comments but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this salad. It is now one of my favorites. Thank you for your great blog!

6 Mindy June 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Kim,

I am so glad you liked this salad. And thank you for taking the time to let me know. It totally makes my day. :)

Mindy

7 Amy Sterzer July 10, 2011 at 10:14 pm

This was so awesome Mindy! So colorful and delicious! I LOVE quinoa!! I made it for all the Holmans tonight and everyone thought it was wonderful.

8 sheila w September 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m making this today. can’t wait to eat it!

9 Kerri Beck August 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Made the salad as side dish w/ enchiladas. Was a big hit; had requests to share the recipe. I added 1/2 a pineapple– really yummy! Was tempted to throw in some strawberries; next time I make the salad, I probably will add some strawberries. ” Thanks!

10 Lorena April 6, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hi Mindy!
I am from Perú, so I grew up eating quinoa in different ways, but never as a salad.
Now this is one of my favorite salads since mango is my favorite fruit. Thanks for sharing!