Chicken Enchiladas (with cream cheese)

by Erin on January 5, 2011

Yet another tasty variation of chicken enchiladas! I have a few different recipes that I make, which is nice since I love them all and they all call for different ingredients. So which recipe I make sometimes depends on what I have got in the fridge. :)  This is a delicious enchilada recipe that I got from a friend, Leanne Davidson, a long time ago. These have a flavorful creamy chicken filling. I have frozen these enchiladas often.  Instead of putting all ten of the tortillas in a 9×13 dish, I put five in a 8×8 pan and the other five in another 8×8 pan. Then I freeze one of them for a later dinner. (In fact, if I remember right, these pictures show a pan of enchiladas that I had frozen before cooking.)

Chicken Enchiladas
Submitted by Erin  ~  The Sisters Cafe
Printable recipe here
½ c. each yellow and green pepper (or whatever you have)
2 Tb butter
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 c. chicken stock (water and 1 tsp bouillon granules (or1 cube) works great)
1-2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp each cumin, sugar, and salt
¼ tsp pepper
1/3 c. half and half (I always use milk to cut down on calories)
1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese (I always use Neufchatel cheese)
3 c. cooked chicken, diced
¾ c. onion, chopped (can also add celery to complete the ¾ c.)
½ tsp salt
2 Tb butter
1 c. cheese (I prefer Monterrey Jack)
8-12 flour tortillas (I use 10)
Sauté onion and pepper in butter. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Heat tomato sauce, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper; simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare filling. Gradually add half and half to cream cheese. Stir in chicken, sautéed onion and bell pepper (and celery, if desired), and salt. Lightly brown tortillas on both sides in butter until heated, but not crisp. (This is purely optional. I have never bothered to brown my tortillas.) Dip tortilla in tomato sauce mixture and spoon ¼ c. chicken filling into each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Cover with remaining tomato sauce.  Cover with foil. At this point you may freeze the pan. Otherwise, bake at 350° for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Bake 5 more minutes.
(When baking a frozen pan of enchiladas, remove the pan from the freezer, leave one layer of foil on top, and place in the oven (no need to preheat). Set the oven to 350° and bake for about 40-45 minutes or so, or until it is hot in the middle. Then add cheese and bake until it is melted on top.)

1 Jessica January 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

I've never made enchiladas for my family…confused on the different sauces. Which brand/color is better?

2 Damaris January 5, 2011 at 9:26 am

YYUUMM!! Are you using flour tortillas? XXOO, Damaris

3 Peggy Clyde. January 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

Your site always has such great recipes. Thanks for this one.

4 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe January 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hi Jessica,
I just clarified in the recipe directions that the "sauce" is referring to the tomato sauce mixture, and the "filling" that you put into the tortillas is the chicken & cream cheese filling mixture. Hope that helps. You should definitely try these for your family. Enchiladas are so delicious!

5 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe January 5, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi Damaris!
Yes, I always use flour tortillas with enchiladas. I just think they have a better texture – more moist and supple than wheat tortillas. And corn tortillas are too small.
Hope that helps!

6 Catherine January 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

I have never had enchiladas with flour tortillas! I would think of these more as burritos, but they look delicious! Thanks for the recipe, we are going to have these this week!

I am really enjoying your site and all the yummy recipe ideas! So glad I found you!

Catherine

7 Julie January 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Looks scrumptious…wish my hubby wasn't on a diet cause I'd sure like to fix up a batch of these :)

8 briarrose January 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Looks delicious. I never thought to use cream cheese in my enchiladas…I will have to try that.

9 Anonymous January 7, 2011 at 6:27 am

I made this for dinner last night.
It was very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sherry Iowa

10 cindy January 7, 2011 at 8:43 am

We had Honey Lime Enchiladas in white corn tortillas last week. They were beyond excellent! I think I will try this recipe soon.
Have a Happy New Year. I do enjoy your recipes.

11 HollyL January 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm

YUM! I LOVE enchiladas! I've never had them with cream cheese though.. I am going to print this recipe now : ) Thanks for sharing!

12 CoralieandCasey January 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

We had these last night and my kids didn't leave anything on their plates besides a few stray green peppers! They were great! Thanks!

13 Tammy January 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe. I made these for dinner tonight and they were delicious! I'm embaressed to say we ate ourselves silly. All 4 of my kids cleaned their plates and my husband declared them the best enchiladas I've ever made… and I've made a few. I'm a new follower to your site and everything I've made so far has been delcious. I have several more recipes in my upcoming menu's. Can't wait!!

14 Lorri August 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

I stumbled upon this website last semester. This is now the second recipe I have made from your blog. MY HUSBAND loved these enchiladas! We are newly weds and I am not the best cook. These were time consuming, but not difficult at all. Thanks for the delicious recipes and keep them coming. I think I have found my “go to” website when I need to impress the family. Thanks again!

15 Britta January 28, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Fantastic recipe!! My family LOVED it!!