Navajo Tacos

We grew up in Arizona, and I remember learning a lot about Native American culture while we were there. Whenever I have Navajo Tacos it reminds me of Arizona. Don’t  you just love meals or recipes that carry memories with them?
Anyway, I loved Navajo Tacos then and I still love them now!  They are so yummy! When I saw this recipe in my Fresh Ideas with Frozen Dough cookbook from Rhodes Bake ‘n Serve, I just had to try it! And wow, I didn’t realize that the Rhodes rolls would work so well as Indian fry bread! It was fantastic!

Navajo Tacos ~ from Rhodes Bake ‘n Serve
submitted by Erin ~ thesisterscafe.com
printable recipe

12 Rhodes Texas™ Rolls, thawed & risen (the equivalent of 18 regular Rhodes dinner rolls)
vegetable oil for frying
1/2 pound ground beef
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup picante sauce or salsa
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups canned pinto beans
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
sour cream, if desired

Flatten each roll to a 6-inch circle. Fry in vegetable oil at 375°F until golden brown, turning over once (about 30 seconds). Drain on paper towels.
Fry ground beef, drain off fat. Add onion and fry until onions are clear.
Add salsa, minced garlic and beans; heat through. Do not over cook.
Spoon desired amount over warm fried dough. Top with grated cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and green onion. If desired, add more salsa and sour cream.

Comments

1. Andrea the Kitchen Witch says

Oh boy this sounds good! I love Navajo tacos :) Never thought to use frozen bread dough for the frybread! Great idea :)

2. Susanne says

I just had to let you all know that I made your cheesecake bars and sour cream sugar cookies. Everyone LOVED them!!!! Your recipes are fabulous…. Many thanks for the time and effort that you put into this blog.

3. Brittany says

great idea – thanks for sharing sis! I have never made Navajo tacos myself but I remember making them in elementary school in Arizona too! :) THey look delicious!

4. Stacy says

My sister in law taught me to use 2 biscuits smooshed together for the fry bread….just bake as you would normally bake the biscuits. Easy peesy.

5. Kelly says

Wow, What a great idea with the Rolls! Thx..We love Navajo tacos. and im sure it would be yummy with honey and powder sugar!

6. Keersten says

We use Rhodes for these too–and even eat the bread with honey and butter after they are fried. Mmmm….so good. So easy (which is what I am all about.)

7. Anonymous says

I have never had Navaho tacos, but they sound really good. Do you drain the beans before you add them to the meat?

Theresa

8. Reagan @ Recipesmademyway says

This is my absolute favorite meal! I am from AZ too! :) I bet using frozen rolls would be less heavy than the actual recipe (does it?), which would make it really yummy with powdered sugar or honey butter!

9. Nichole @ Barillafab4.blogspot.com says

I have really been wanting to make this but cannot find the texas rolls anywhere :( Any other suggestions? I am afraid they wont be big enough if I just use the regular Rhodes rolls!

10. Erin @ The Sisters Cafe says

Hi Nichole! Yes, you can just use regular dinner Rhodes dinner rolls. I do! But they are a little smaller… but I don't mind. If you want them bigger you could smush two dinner rolls together, or one and a half rolls together…. don't know if that would work or not, but anyway, for what it's worth! These are really yummy!