Halloween Sugar Gems

by Erin on October 9, 2010

We have a fun tradition that we do for Halloween each year. I’m sure some of you have heard about The Halloween Phantom. To become the Halloween Phantom, you will need to make a yummy treat and print off the two documents below (the poem and the picture).  Then you go ‘ghosting’, otherwise known as doorbell-ditching. :)  You place the plate of goodies, the poem, and the picture of the ghost, on someone’s porch step, then ring the doorbell and run! The fun keeps spreading like a chain letter: they will pass the phantom on to others who will continue passing it on and so forth. You’ll have to click on the link below to read the clever poem. Children think this activity is very exciting! But I have a confession to make, I started The Phantom in the married student housing while my husband and I were finishing up at our university, and I had no kids – I was 20 years old and thought this was just as exciting and fun as any little kid!  :)
I made a bijillion of these Sugar Gem cookies yesterday, and filled about 8 or so piping bags full of black and orange frosting. Then I brought them to a youth activity I was in charge of last night. The girls (ages 12-18) had a blast decorating their cookies, and then we dismissed 30 minutes early so that they could go ‘ghosting’ with their parents on their way home, and deliver their cute jack-o-lantern cookies. In addition to the frosting (in piping bags and in tupperwares so they could spread it), I also had a little can of Wilton Color Spray in orange (it’s like an aerosol edible color spray). Wow, was that a hit! They fumigated the room with that stuff! But they thought it was very fun. :)
Have fun spreading the Halloween Phantom! I’d love to hear about how your deliveries go! :)

Halloween Phantom Poem
Halloween Phantom Picture
Sugar Gems printable recipe

as another option, you can use this happy phantom instead of the ones used above.  I just made it tonight; this one can be cut out and might be cuter displayed from a front window. I might use this one from now on.
Halloween Phantom Poem (happy phantom)
Halloween Phantom Picture (happy phantom)

*update – Thanks to AJ, who left a comment and said, “We got booed too and our printouts were from a website so that people could just go to the website and print it off instead of trying to worry about copying the poem and picture. www.BeenBooed.com”  I think this is a good idea. Their poem is different, but still cute. So there’s another idea for you all! :)

Sugar Gems

submitted by Erin (recipe from Melanie) ~ thesisterscafe.com

Cream together:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup real butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Add:
5 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda

Mix all ingredients well. Roll into golf size balls and place on cookie sheets. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. Cool and frost with sugar gem frosting.

Sugar Gem Frosting

2-2 ½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup oil
1 ½ tsp almond flavoring or extract (very important!)
3-4 Tbsp milk
food coloring if wanted

Mix well and add a little more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency. If you plan on piping this frosting, add a little more powdered sugar to make it a bit thicker.

1 Heather October 9, 2010 at 6:09 am

Just a thought…abbreviated feeds are a pain! I'm far less likely to click to a blog with just a little teaser in the feed reader than I would be if I can see what I'm clicking for. I'll be sad to not be able to see your awesome recipes anymore, because I just don't have the time to waste clicking on something that I may or may not be interested in.

2 Melanie Anne October 9, 2010 at 7:06 am

Wow!! I am so glad that this frosting recipe worked for piping! WHen you asked me, I really wasn't sure. They look so cute! Yum! We were "bood" last night…so I will be makin these cookies this weekend:) Thanks Erin–what a fun post!

3 Brittany October 9, 2010 at 7:49 am

what a fun idea! i LOVE this! I can't wait to do it with Gabe… he is going to have a blast!

4 Jennifurla October 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Adorable cookkies

5 Mindy October 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm

What a cute idea to do for a mutual activity! I think I might do this for my activity day girls. SO cute! Your cookies were adorable, too.

6 Mo 'Betta October 10, 2010 at 6:29 am

We were "boo'd" a couple of years ago and I thought it was the cutest thing…thanks for reminding me and providing the print outs! My kids will love doing this again.

7 AJ October 11, 2010 at 10:17 am

We got booed too and our printouts were from a website so that people could just go to the website and print it off instead of trying to worry about copying the poem and picture. http://www.BeenBooed.com

And those cookies are adorable.

8 Carrie October 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I'm willing to take a gamble on the half second I'll use to see if the abbreviated feed works for me :)

I'd just like to thank these lovely ladies who are kind enough to create a blog and share their amazing recipes. Keep up the good work.

9 dining room table October 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm

This is perfect for Halloween! Kids will love this. I can't wait to make some.

10 Moni and Bella Luna October 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

Cute cookies! What a great idea.

11 Brittany October 14, 2010 at 10:29 am

we did it last night…what a FUN adventure with Gabe!! He was SO CUTE running like the devil was chasing him! haha it was so adorable with his legs just churning and his hair flying backward! We had a long way to run too because we "boo-ed" some friends that live on a funny corner lot behind another house so it's a long lane that you can't get out of quickly in a car…so we had to run all the way back to the street. intense!!! :)

12 Jessica Munk October 19, 2010 at 10:29 am

I'm not sure if I made these right…what is the texture supposed to be?
Thanks!

13 Lynne October 21, 2010 at 8:47 am

My husband and I are empty-nesters but still enjoy the ding-dong ditch. We had so much fun sneaking up to our neighbors houses (who have children home)and leaving the cookies. Now as we drive through the neighborhood and see all the little ghosts in the windows we just smile! Thanks! We loved it!

14 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe October 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Lynne, that is so fun! Thanks for sharing! It makes me happy that you guys enjoyed this! Happy Halloween!

15 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe October 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Jessica,
These sugar cookies are pretty sweet and they are closer to a shortbread cookie than the soft(or cake-like) type of sugar cookies you buy at the store. Still, they should not be crumbly unless they were overcooked.
Did you put almond flavoring in the frosting? It is delicious in combination with the cookie.