4 Packet Roast

by Mindy on September 23, 2010

I love this dinner.  Does it get easier than dumping a roast, seasoning packets and some carrots in a crockpot?  And it is SO good!  The last time I made this, my hungry husband snitched a bite of the meat after about 5 hours in the crockpot and said, “This roast is awesome.  Let’s eat right now.”  I backed him off the roast and forced him to wait while I made Wonderful Mashed Potatoes and a salad.  I couldn’t make him wait for gravy, which was okay because that recipe for mashed potatoes can stand alone (and we both ended up augmenting a little with the drippings since they were so good!)  This roast was moose, but I have also made it with elk and beef.  All are great.  You can do a 3 packet roast and leave out the onion soup mix, but while it is still tasty…. it just isn’t as good as with.  So I would suggest all 4 packets if you’ve got them!  Oh, and once we tried using a bottle of Italian dressing since we didn’t have a dry packet of it… it also wasn’t as good.  So I would stick with just the seasoning packets, and you shouldn’t go awry!

4 Packet Roast

Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet brown gravy mix

1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
1 packet onion soup mix
1 roast of choice
1/2-3/4 cup of water
assorted veggies if desired (I like carrots the best, but I often use cubed potatoes and onion wedges, as well)

Place roast in crockpot.  Arrange vegetables around the roast if being used.  Sprinkle the mix packets over the roast.  Pour water around the roast.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

1 Jen Ketcher September 23, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Hey, what size roast do you use with all those seasonings? Seems like it ought to be big!

2 Carol at Serendipity September 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm

This sounds just wonderful. The weather is changing and a pot roast is a perfect dinner!

Carol

3 Melanie Anne September 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm

wow-that sounds really tastey with all those packets of flavor! Thanks Mindy!

4 Denise September 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I make this all the time family loves it so easy

5 Anonymous September 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I'm out of Italian salad dressing mix. Do you think it would work if I used 1/2 – 3/4 cup of Italian salad dressing in place of the mix and the water?

6 Anonymous September 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Well, I reread your post and see that you addressed the issue of using salad dressing instead of the mix. That'll teach me for going to the recipe first!

7 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe September 23, 2010 at 5:44 pm

This looks mouth drooling! I have a big roast in the freezer that I need to use up. I'm definitely going to make this. Do the drippings make a yummy gravy with all those seasoning packets or do you do a gravy from bouillon granules? just curious!

8 Mindy September 23, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hi Erin,

I have only made gravy from the drippings once, and I remember thinking it was pretty good, maybe a little on the salty side (which I don't mind). Brittany says she has made it from the 3 packet roast drippings and that the italian dressing gave the gravy a funny flavor. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Love,
Mindy

9 Mindy September 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Anonymous,

I probably should have said more on the Italian dressing thing. The flavor of the roast turned out okay , but not as good as usual. I am not sure why that would be. The oil in the bottled dressing made the drippings kind of weird, too. If you try it and have a better experience let me know.

Mindy

10 Mindy September 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Hey Jen,

I should pay attention to what size of roast I am doing. I've done this recipe with anywhere from smaller medium sized roast (enough to feed 4-5 adults) to a very large roast (enough to feed 8-10 adults). They have all turned out great… maybe a little more intense flavor with the smaller roasts, but that hasn't been a bad thing. Mostly I have used this recipe with wild game, and I have never measured the weight of them. So sorry I can't be more specific! Hope that helps.

Mindy

11 Brittany September 23, 2010 at 11:15 pm

this is a great recipe! I haven't tried it with the onion soup but it sounds great! Wish we had some moose to try… that stuff is good!

12 Amy September 24, 2010 at 3:51 am

Oooo…another tasty wild game recipe! Keep 'em coming Mind, I need all I can get:)!! I'm excited to try this one out!

13 Anna B September 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I have to tell you; I have this recipe in my crockpot right now. The smell is heavenly, and I couldn't help myself, I pulled a piece of the meat off and tried a taste, delicious!!

I was very hesitant about dumping all those packets of ingredients onto my beautiful piece of meat, but I did. I added carrots, sliced onions, celery and button mushrooms to the pot.

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!!

14 Matt September 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Hey Sis- It was fun to get on here and see the amazing leftovers you gave me for lunch when I was over as a post on your blog! This is a fantastic meal- even a day or two later I couldn't believe how good it was! Thanks again for feeding me…. I know it was tough on Griff to share it… :)

15 Patti September 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I wonder what would happen if you changed the beef gravy packet to a chicken gravy packet and substituted a chicken for the roast. What do you think?

16 The Double Dipped Life September 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm

This looks very flavorful! I've added it to my "must try" recipe folder. Thanks!

17 Sharon October 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! We had it for dinner last night. It was wonderful and so very easy.

18 **MIGNONNE** October 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm

This is on the calendar for tomorrow night. I can't wait to try it. Thank you for the recipe.

19 Beth Davis October 11, 2010 at 4:06 am

We had company over last night and because I was gone all day, I knew I had to find a crockpot recipe. This one was perfect! Everyone loved it. This is going to be one that I use over and over again:-)

20 dining tables November 6, 2010 at 1:10 am

Thumbs up for this recipe! I just made some and it is really nice and delicious.

21 Donna July 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm

WOW! If you want to make a dinner to knock his socks off.. this is it! It’s not fancy or gourmet.. just great comfort food that we all grew up having for Sunday dinner.

22 JR July 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

This is really GOOD. Thank you for the receipe!

23 Amy May 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Has anyone done this in the oven? Do you know the temp and time?