Spinach Tarragon Quiche

by Erin on June 9, 2010

Our mom used to make this for us when we were growing up. I always loved it. It was extra special because she didn’t make it that often. I remember requesting this for my birthday dinner when I was younger. It is delicious! Enjoy!

Spinach Tarragon Quiche
submitted by Erin ~ The Sisters Cafe
printable recipe

1 unbaked 9 or 10-inch pastry shell
1 small pkg cream cheese, softened (I use 8oz)
1 c. half and half
½ c. soft bread cubes, lightly packed
¼ c. shredded parmesan cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten
about ¾ to 1 lb fresh spinach, finely chopped
4 Tb butter
1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
½ lb mushrooms, finely chopped
½ tsp dried tarragon (I use a scant ½ tsp, but you can add more than ½ tsp if you want)
¾ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400°. Mash cream cheese with a fork and gradually blend in half and half. Add bread cubes, parmesan cheese, and eggs and beat with a wire whisk to break up the bread pieces. Take three large handfuls of spinach (that’s my measurement for 1 lb fresh :) ) out of the bag and chop it up; set aside. (The original recipe she gave me said that it would be ~1 c. cooked.) Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the onion and mushrooms until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Stir in the spinach, tarragon, and salt just before the vegetables become soft; leave on heat for a minute (or less) and then remove from heat. Blend the hot vegetables with the cheese mixture and pour into the pastry shell. Bake in a 400° oven for about 25 minutes or until crust is golden and knife inserted into the filling comes out clean. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Cut and serve.

1 Catherine June 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Wow, a child requesting something spinach related for their birthday dinner? This MUST be good! It looks delicious and I can't wait to try it.

2 Valerie June 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm

This looks like something I would LOVE! I copied it for sure.

3 Bonnie June 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Oh, this sounds like a wonderful recipe. I think I will use it for a surprise birthday party brunch I am having. I love all your recipes! Your mom sounds like she taught you girls to be good cooks. She seems like someone I would like to be friends with :)My mother was also a GREAT cook and taught me a lot of what I know. Thank you again for sharing!!

4 Mindy June 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

That is so funny that you posted this, sis, because I have been totally craving it lately. Maybe I'll make it this week for dinner. Looks SO good!

5 Mama Bird June 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Sounds delish! And very diff from my standard quiche recipe. Would love you to join my Whatcha Got Cooking Wednesday Recipe Exchange!

6 Brittany June 9, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I love this quiche! It is delicious – the best quiche recipe I have ever made. It sounds so yummy right now… I'm starving! :)

7 Kat June 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm

What a great quiche recipe. Thanks so much for posting.

8 Marnie June 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm

This is a great quiche recipe and one that I have been making for years. Aunt Jan gave it to my mom several years ago and I happened to run across it one day. It has become a family favorite!

9 Carolyn July 20, 2010 at 9:38 am

This recipe sounds fantastic. I have some spinach that I don't want to waste so this will be perfect. Have you ever put diced chicken in this? What do you think?

10 Erin August 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Hi Cayolyn! sorry to reply so late, I just got back in town, but anyway, I think diced chicken might work out fine in it. I personally don't think it needs it (and I actually would probably say I think it would be better without it), and I've never tried it before, but if you try it out let me know how it goes!

11 Mindy October 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. It is one of my favorite indulgent dinners. :) I thought I would mention that the recipe that our Mom uses actually calls for 1 tsp (not 1/2 tsp) Tarragon. I have made it both ways and far prefer more Tarragon. But Tarragon does have a strong flavor, so if you don't particulary like it, then use 1/2 tsp as listed and it will be a subtle flavor.

12 Anonymous March 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

Is it fresh tarragon or is the measurement for dried tarragon?

13 Erin March 21, 2011 at 9:30 am

It is 1/2 tsp dried tarragon. But you can substitute 1/2 Tablespoon fresh tarragon if you desire. Enjoy!

14 Jan December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

This is my favorite quiche recipe (by far) – it’s unusual and always a hit.