Lemon Cream Chicken

by Amy on April 6, 2010

Has no one posted this yet?! This recipe definitely needs to be shared. This Lemon Cream Chicken dish is DELICIOUS! It’s another one of Mel’s amazing recipes that she printed into the cookbooks she made for us as wedding presents. I have been making it for almost 6 years now and I love it! I remember being very surprised at how wonderful it was the first time I made it. Of course I should have known, it was coming from Mel:) In fact, when I very first made it and was pretty new to cooking, I actually whipped up the whipping cream and just used 1 cup of that. I think it tastes wonderful that way too just fyi:) And to be honest, I have never breaded the chicken in this dish. I always just grill it in the skillet and skip to that part of the recipe. I bet it is really yummy but I think it is still awesome without! What do you usually do Mel? And thank you for this recipe so many years ago, I love it!

Lemon Cream Chicken

Submitted by Amy (but it’s Melanie’s recipe) ~ The Sisters Cafe
Recipe Source: Taste of Home Magazine
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup plus 1 T. flour divided (mostly optional)
1/2 t. salt (optional)
1/2 t. pepper (optional)
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 c. butter (mostly optional)
1 c. chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream, divided
3 T. lemon juice
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 c. flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken and shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter for 8-9 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Add broth to the drippings. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir to loosen browned bits from the pan. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until broth is reduced approximately 1/3 cup. Sir in 3/4 c. cream, lemon juice and mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.

Combine remaining flour and cream until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet and heat through. Yield = 6 servings.

1 Pam April 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Oh, this sounds so delicious and I will have to give it a try! Love, love all the mushrooms in a creamy sauce! Thanks!

2 A Year on the Grill April 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm

that entire presentation is such a great photo… Love the recipe. And love the idea of family cookbooks. You all should be very proud of this blog

3 Melanie Anne April 6, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I have not made this recipe for years. I think I stopped because it was just too heavy with the frying of it first. I LOVE your idea to skip that step altogether. I am sure I would much prefer it that way. What a great idea to lighten it up a bit, Amy!! I will make this with your changes soon!

4 Brittany April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Oh yum – this looks great! I don't think I have ever made it because of the mushrooms…but I may just make Eric eat around them one of these days! Looks delicious!

5 sandra April 7, 2010 at 12:00 am

I had chicken tenders in my fridge and mushrooms, and even whipping cream so I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious. I chose to coat it in flour and "fry" it in the butter, it does not take that much time and it made the chicken heavenly! Thanks for sharing a fun recipe, we truly enjoyed it!

6 Swa April 7, 2010 at 2:37 am

Hi! I've been following your blog for quite some time now, I don't even know how I found you, but I'm sure glad I did! We also had this for dinner tonight. We took it to my sister and her husband and their 4 day old baby and we all loved it! (Except the 4 day old, I guess we'll know if she liked it when she gets it tomorrow :) )The guys wouldn't stop raving about it and my husband said it's one that i can definitely make again, Top 5 favorite recipe material. It went really well with rice pilaf and fresh green beans. So yummy! Thanks for all the great recipes!
Swa from UT

7 Martha April 7, 2010 at 3:31 am

I make something similar without the lemon juice — I'll have to try your recipe — I bet the lemon really adds to it!

8 Erin April 9, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I'm glad you reminded me of this great recipe! I haven't made it in so long, and I don't know why! I made it for dinner tonight. It is restaurant worthy. It is so delicious. Thanks for posting it, Amy!

9 ~3 Sides of Crazy~ April 13, 2010 at 5:39 am

This looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

10 Sheena April 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm

So yummy! We had this for dinner last night and even my 3 year old ate it and he hardly ever eats dinner with us!
I cut the chicken into chunks before coating it in flour and cooking it. I then served it over rice and it was kind of like a yummy creamy stir fry!
Thanks for the great recipe!

11 MaryAnn June 18, 2010 at 2:02 am

I made this for dinner tonight and it was A-MAZ-ING! We all loved it. I unfortunatly had to leave the mushrooms out because my husband is allergic to them. It paired perfectly with my easy rice pilaf and steamed veggies. I think next time I make it, I might try putting a slice of ham and a slice of swiss cheese on the top just before serving, to make it kinda like cordon blue. (Is that how you spell cordon blue? Probably not.)
Thanks for sharing your recipes! LOVE this blog!

12 Tiffany June 23, 2010 at 12:50 am

OH MY HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!! Had this for dinner last night and we LOVED LOVED it!!! I keep trying the recipes on here and none of them dissapojnt. I have become quite the cook and baker. Thanx for sharing!!!!!

13 Alicia M. January 28, 2012 at 8:00 am

I served this last night when my in-laws were visiting and got rave reviews all around! It was delicious and worth the calorie splurge. I might try making it with half and half next time – I wonder if it will be as good?