Pesto Swiss Fondue

This cheese fondue is sooooo good!  And I love that I got to use the oh-so-yummy pesto I made and froze last summer in it (I linked to the recipe below).  Seriously, I am craving Pesto Swiss Fondue again just writing this post.  I have tried a few cheese recipes which were much more complex, used more expensive cheeses, and turned out just OK.  They were discouraging.  Finally I remembered that my cute cousin, Marnie, loves to have fondue parties with friends.  I think she has like eight pots or something.  Anyway, I emailed her and she sent me some of her favorite recipes.  Tried and true.  That is my kind of recipe!  And it paid off with this one. I am already planning to make this fondue again soon… and now that I know how good it is, I am going to be sure to invite friends.  If you have never tried it, fondue is the best food for getting together with friends.  It is both fun and takes some time to eat, giving you lots of opportunity to chat and laugh. Plus it doesn’t hurt that it is absolutely delicious! :)

Pesto Swiss Fondue
Submitted by Mindy
www.thesisterscafe.com

Printable Recipe

1 12oz. block of swiss cheese, cubed
2 T flour
2 large garlic cloves, chopped (I used a garlic press)
1/2-3/4 c. of white cooking wine (I used 3/4 c)
1/2 c. milk
2-3 T of jarred prepared pesto (Click HERE for our favorite pesto recipe, which is what I use)

Ideas for dipping: cubed french bread, cauliflower, broccoli, granny smith apples, new potatoes or cubed red potatoes, sausage, red bell peppers

Cube cheeses and chop garlic.  Place cubed cheese in a bowl and add flour just enough to lightly coat the cheese.  Spray the fondue pot or pan with cooking spray and add the chopped garlic.  Cook on medium high until the garlic just begins to brown.  (I used the Cuisinart fondue pot and cooked this part on the #2 temperature setting).  Then add wine.  When the wine begins to boil, reduce the heat back to medium (I kept temp at #2 -3 during this part) and slowly add the flour coated cheese and milk a little at a time, always stirring so it will not burn.  As the cheese melts, continue to add the rest of the cheese, again ALWAYS stirring so it will not burn.  When the cheese is all fully melted, add the pesto and serve immediately.  If you are not using a fondue pot you may need to reheat it after a little while as the fondue will thicken as it cools.

Comments

1. Kerry says

I am a devoted follower of your blog, and always refer to it for any recipe I need! I have always heard that alcohol burns off when cooking, but I recently found an article that says otherwise. Just thought I would pass it on in case you are interested!

This recipe does look soooo good, and I even have a little pesto in my fridge!

2. Melanie Anne says

Mmm this sounds so good! And this post inspired me to have a fondue party! I have a really nice fondue pot that Brad got me and we never use it! I will have to use some of your fun recipes and invite some people over!!

3. Amy says

Yummy! I need to get a better fondue pot so I can try all these fondue recipes! I loved all your ideas for dipping too. I never thought of using red bell pepper, potatoes, cauliflower…that sounds awesome! Can you tell I haven't done a lot of fondue?:) Thanks Mind!

4. Melissa says

Totally excited to try this! Bart and I have fondue every New Year's Eve for our celebrations. It's become a family tradition. We love pesto also, so we can't wait to try this! This is definitely going to be on this year's menu. If anyone's concerned about the white cooking wine, you can substitute white grape juice or apple juice and it's still delicious:).

5. Trendsetters says

got a brand new fondue set from william sonoma…waiting to inaugurate it…will try this recipe of yours…

6. A Year on the Grill says

I love all things cheese… something special good about a swiss fondue… great new twist with the pesto

7. Garden of Egan says

I was sent here by my sweet DIL who found some great recipes on your blog. I'm afraid I'll be a real stalker. I've enjoyed browsing! The Brown Sugar Ham and Beans look like a wonderful dinner. I think we'll be seeing this one on the table this Sunday.

Thanks for sharing your great talents.
    Tauna (from Rexburg)

8. John and Jessica says

I'm so grateful for this blog. I tell all my friends about it, it really is the best. I tried this for a dinner party and it totally classied it up! My favorite dippers were the Granny Smith apples and some brautwurst. This is really a phenomenal recipe! Thanks so much!

9. Mindy says

Tricia,

YES! What has taken me so long!? :) I've got a few other recipes in the pipeline for the next few weeks, then I will post another fondue recipe for sure. In the mean time, if you would like me to email you the recipes… just send me a note at