Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew

by Amy on March 9, 2010

I made this the other day and it was right up my alley! Loved it! I felt like I was getting healthier with every spoonful:) Okay, maybe that’s a stretch…then again, maybe not! It is filling and yummy and packed with “good for you” ingredients. And hello, quinoa, what a fun new ingredient. Can you believe I’ve never had it before?! But don’t forget the last and probably most important step, to season! It gives it that last, needed touch. This recipe serves 8-10 people. My family of 4 (of which only 3 are big enough to eat this stuff) had lots of leftovers. It didn’t take us long to consume every last spoonful.

Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew

Submitted by Amy ~ The Sisters Cafe
Recipe Source: Picky Palate
Printable Recipe

2 T extra virgin olive oil (I always skimp on this just a little)
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 Cups sweet pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
64 oz chicken broth
15 oz can diced tomatoes
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cubed into 1″ pieces (get the Yukon potatoes, it’s worth the extra few dollars)
3 cups cooked quinoa
4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Hot Sauce (Cholula brand is good)
Kosher Salt, fresh cracked black pepper, Garlic Salt (Lawry’s is good), and Parsley to taste
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers, and zucchini until softened. This takes about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and potatoes. Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil Reduce to medium high and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, dijon mustard, hot sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt, pepper, garlic salt. Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.

1 A Year on the Grill March 9, 2010 at 5:44 am

crazy great sounding soup!

2 Melissa March 9, 2010 at 11:31 am

So excited to try this!!!

3 Melissa March 9, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh, by the way, forgot to tell you, that's a beautiful pic Am. Makes me want some right now!

4 Brittany March 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

That sounds delicious, healthy and comforting! Perfect! The picture is just beautiful too – wow. Can you come take all my pictures?! :)

5 Melanie Anne March 9, 2010 at 12:19 pm

What a gorgeous picture! I love quinoa! It is very high in protien. I have an awesome Quinoa, tart apple, and almond salad that is sooo good. I will have to post it soon. Your soup has reminded me:)

6 Patty Ann March 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I know what we are having this weekend! It sounds delicious!

7 2Sammi March 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Love Quinoa, the soup sounds wonderful. Love the new look of your blog.

Renee

8 Heather March 9, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Love the new look! Can't wait to see what more there is to come!

9 Valerie March 10, 2010 at 7:20 am

I've never tried quinoa, but this looks like something my family would love.

10 Rosa March 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Use College Inn to make some of your favorites recipes taste even better – check them out at http://www.collegeinn.com/recipes.aspx.

This message is being posted on behalf of College Inn and we hope that it is of interest for you.

11 Mindy March 11, 2010 at 11:41 am

The Quinoa sounds great. And I love soups that are packed with veggies. I will for sure have to try this. And Amy, your picture is seriously beautiful!

12 Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Because it had the quinoa, I thought it would be great to omit the chicken and use it as a vegetarian soup. But it just wasn't really very good. It was ok, just not something I'll try again. I do think the chicken will make it better, but I still wonder if I'd like it with the chicken. Although this one I was a little disappointed in, I've enjoyed most of the other soup recipes. Thanks for this awesome resource! I love it.

13 Lara February 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Made this tonight and other than it making enough to feed an army, it was good. The older kids liked it more than they thought they would and the younger ones did eat it, which is a feat in an of itself. Next time I'll definitely make a 1/2 or even 1/3 batch to feed my family of 7.

14 Mindy May 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Seriously LOVED this soup. I made it for mom, dad, josh, and my family. And I love that there were still leftovers. Such a good recipe!

15 Erin October 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

My boyfriend made this for dinner tonight and it was really good! We both definitely would make it again. Thanks!