Grandma’s Famous Blueberry Muffins

I made my grandma’s delicious blueberry muffins for a special treat last Sunday… my entire family was in raptures at the breakfast table! They are so incredibly yummy – fluffy and light with fat blueberries and a hint of lemon and the best part…sugary, buttery tops…. aaaah! Absolutely the best blueberry muffin recipe out there. I grew up eating these muffins every time we went to visit Grandma in Magrath, Alberta. She would make huge batches of all her special muffins (I will have to post the others some day) and freeze them so that we could all have homemade muffins during our visit. What a wonderful Grandma!!

Grandma’s Blueberry Lemon Muffins
submitted by Brittany
printable recipe
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one lemon
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup  butter*, softened
1 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
Topping:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 Tb lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Beat egg, milk and butter.  Add dry ingredients and lemon zest. Stir gently to combine. Fold in blueberries.   Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Combine butter and lemon juice. While the muffins are still warm, dip the tops in the butter and lemon juice, then dip in sugar. Makes 12 muffins.
*Grandma uses shortening which creates a better texture but I substitute butter because I try to avoid shortening and I love the taste of butter! It works great either way.
Recipe Source: My maternal grandmother Ruth Rice

Comments

1. Melanie Anne says

Oh yum! I LOVE these muffins too! These were always my favorites of Grandmas! And I see your using your Demarle muffin pan! Don't you love that?!

2. Jamie Cooks It Up! says

I have never gound a blueberry muffin recipe I just love…these look wonderful! I will have to give them a try. Thanks for posting them!

3. Jessica says

I love a good blueberry muffin. I've found a couple that are pretty good, but I'm always up for trying something new. The sugar on the top of these muffins is calling my name. They also look so moist and delicious — I'm going to have to try these soon.

4. Amy says

Yes these are delicious! I always snag the blueberry muffins when they're in the mix! And haha, I thought that was so sweet that Griff missed Grandma:)

5. Jessie says

These look amazing! Can't wait to try them.

My husband is from Raymond which is right by Magrath. Beautiful area!

6. Main Street Mom says

Blueberry and lemon cannot be beat!!! I bet these are wonderful! I am hosting a breakfast at my home this coming Monday…I hope to have these on the menu!!! BTW, spotted that Demarle…..isn't it wonderful!!!!!!

7. Main Street Mom says

I made these Friday for my Dentist's employees. The butter that I dipped them in was apparently too salty….next time I will use unsalted butter. The texture of the muffin was great though! Thanks for sharing!

8. Anonymous says

LOVE THEM! As we were making them, my daughter thought they looked disgusting. But, after baking & after the sugar (of course)–she changed her mind! This will definitely become part of my baking repertoire! Thanks!!

9. Danielle says

I have made these twice in the last week! They are so yummy and taste like they are hard to make, but they are not. Thanks!

10. Carrie says

Thanks for a yummy recipe! I made these this morning. I was able to figure it out okay, but there are a couple of clarifications that would help in this recipe. First, when does the lemon zest get added? Second, the list of ingredients says 1 egg, however in the instructions it says to add eggS (plural). I assummed it was one egg and they turned out just fine. Thanks!

11. Carrie says

Sorry, one more thing! I'd suggest adding the blueberries last after the dry ingredients so they don't get squished! Minor point!

12. Jennifer says

Just finished making these… YUM!! Will have to make another batch because I know these 12 will be gone fast!

13. Jennie says

They look wonderful! Quick question, when freezing, do you put the glaze on before or wait until serving? Can ‘t wait to try!

14. Karen @ the Food Charlatan says

This is such a great recipe!! Thank you for sharing. I think this is my favorite muffin recipe. I blogged about it here: http://thefoodcharlatan.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/blueberry-lemon-muffins/

15. Jan says

This is my favorite muffin recipe BY FAR! They melt in your mouth. . . . mmmmmm. The only problem is that I overeat when I make them.