Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

Before I moved my neighbor shared with me a homemade granola bar recipe that is YUM-Mee!! What a fun treat for kids! I like to serve them with some cut up fruit or carrot sticks for an after school snack. They are super easy to make and use ingredients that I usually have on hand. The bars pictured are a little thicker than usual. My boys were having friends over so I tried to double the recipe and baked it in a 9×13 pan. I think that if I double it again I will use a jelly roll pan. We like them best a little thinner (They seem to stay together better that way too). Thanks for sharing the recipe Kaley! We sure miss having you next door!
Homemade Granola Bars
submitted by Melanie
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup rice krispy cereal
1/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together until combined. Press into a square 8×8 pan.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars.
Let it set completely and then cut into bars. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Our Family says

yummy! i have a recipe of chewy granola bars but it uses peanut butter and karo syrup. i kind of like the honey idea instead of the karo syrup. that recipe is my kids' favorite after school snack or fhe snack! i love your blog! (I am Jed's uncle's wife) by the way. i remember all of you guys at the wedding of jed and erin! :)

2. Katrina says

Ooh, I've got to try these, I swear just one of my four sons keeps Sunbelt in business because he eats so many granola bars!

3. Katie says

I made these yesterday – so easy and super delicious!
    It makes me wonder why our packaged stuff has to have strange ingredients that I cannot pronounce…
    These are the real deal!!!

4. Britney says

i come back to this recipe again and again….LOVE it so much. a new staple in our house! we have been trying to cut out processed foods, so this is a great substitute for my granola bar loving husband!

5. Jenna says

I have made these so many times, and while my kids love them, I usually end up eating most of them! Such a great and healthy snack. I have found that they stay together much better and are still chewy if they are cooked in a 9×13 pan. The 8×8 pan bars were always crumbly, although they were still quite delicious!

6. Erin says

I made these today and they were wonderful! I felt like I was eating a healthy version of a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Yum yum! After an hour they stuck together really well in bars. (After only 10 minutes they were still kind of falling apart a bit.) I used my 9×13 pan instead of an 8×8 and they were perfect. Thanks for the great recipe. Jed loves snacks like this!

7. mary jane says

YUM! I made these for my kids today. I doubled the recipe, and baked it in a 1/2 bakers sheet…roughly 13×18"? They turned out great! Thank you for another great recipe!