Zucchini Tomato Bake

Ok, Marci from On My Menu LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this recipe… and I have to agree! Apparently she got it from the Lone Star Legacy cookbook, which I may need to track down. I think this is my new favorite way to eat my garden vegetables. It was even fabulous as leftovers the next day. And my husband had seconds… on vegetables… a sure sign this recipe is a definite keeper! Now it is just so sad that summer is over and along with it my little garden. Since we’ve now hit freezing temps at night in Utah, my fridge contains the last few fresh veggies from my garden. I’m already pining for next summer!
Zucchini Tomato Bake
Submitted by Mindy (from On My Menu)
1 onion, chopped
4 T butter (I used 2 T)
4 zucchini, sliced in rings (I did 2 zucchini, 2 summer squash)
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used extra!)
1/2 tsp basil
3 T parsley, chopped
Garlic salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 oz Cheddar cheese, grated (I used medium cheddar)
Saute onion in butter until soft. Add zucchini and saute until tender. Add tomatoes and mushrooms. Saute briefly, then add seasonings. Put in 1.5 quart casserole dish. Toss with Parmesan; top with Cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. (A good option for summer: saute everything longer, approx. 10 minutes. Right before serving add cheese and stir to melt – I prepared it this way.)

Comments

1. Melanie Anne says

MMmm I can't wait to try this! I think I will make it tonight. Mindy you are so good to fix vegetables in such delicious ways!! I think my boys would eat a lot more of their veggies if I made them so delish like thi!:)

2. Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims says

Sounds delicous, I do have this cookbook, my sister lived in Austin years ago and I purchased it when I visited.
    I miss summer too and all the vegetables.

3. Brittany says

Oh yum. I really miss having zuchinni coming out of my ears like in Utah!! :) It was so fun to have so many for all the great recipes out there! I'll have to go buy some at the store (lame) and make this anyway – it looks too good to pass up. I needed a fresh way of making veggies too… esp for my Gabers!

4. Erin says

I made this tonight and it was very yummy, Mindy. I could really get into vegetables if they were always like this. Seriously, I want to make this again and again. Thanks for sharing!!

5. So-Mama says

We made this last nite with a few modifications. A bit low on the Zucchini so we loaded up on mushrooms swapped out the cheddar for jack, its all we had. Still really really yummy!

6. Susan says

I needed a side dish for a brunch starring quiche – something capable of holding it’s own, without overpowering the star dish. This was just the ticket. My guests really enjoyed it! I’ll try it again and again, modifying it various ways according to what else is on the menu. Love finding something so versatile.