‘Julie and Julia’ Bruschetta

So have you seen the ‘Julie and Julia ‘movie yet? It is a must see movie for anyone who loves to cook and blog! I went with my new friend (as you know I just moved) Judy, my darling next door neighbor. She and I both loved it and that is saying a lot because there is probably about a 30 year age difference between us. The movie is really fun, but may leave you with certain cravings! It inspired me to be a better wife (Julia Child’s relationship with her spouse was so endearing), get the Julia Child cookbook to experiment with French cooking and make bruschetta!

There was a scene in the movie where Julie was making bruschetta for dinner for herself and her hubby. She toasted the bread in a pan of butter until it was crispy and then loaded on the tomato mixture. Her husband devoured it and kept oohing and aughing over it. I have to say…my mouth was watering! I could hardly wait to get home and whip it up! So the next day I picked up some beautiful red and orange garden tomatoes at a local farmers stand, and made this for myself for lunch. I did not use as much butter as the movie, (Julie’s bread was seriously swimming in it), but I did butter both sides of the slice. The buttery crispiness was TOTALLY worth the extra calories! It was soooo good–really just heavenly. I ended up making another batch that night for my husband Brad and I had to bring a plate over to Judy (my partner at the movie). They loved it too! Simply delicious!
Julie and Julia Bruschetta
submitted by Melanie

For the tomato topping:

Red and orange juicy fresh garden tomatoes, chopped
Fresh basil, chopped (a couple leaves)
Fresh garlic, minced (a couple)
kosher salt to taste
Extra Virgin Olive oil (1-2 tsp)

let this sit while you prepare the toast

Heat a skillet on the stove top on medium high. Butter both sides of a slice of french bread and toast in the hot skillet. When the toast is done, top with the tomato topping and ENJOY!!

Comments

1. Valerie says

I just saw the movie yesterday finally and definitely wanted to eat some of that bruschetta, although I could have done without all the chewing sounds. :) I would probably be the only one at my house to eat this, but I want to try it!

2. cindy says

As I read your blog post I am eating a slice of toasted french bread smeared with homemade pesto and topped with just picked tomatoes! Heavenly.

3. Shauna says

I loved the movie and came home and made this too! The only thing I did differently was to brown the bread in butter and olive oil. Once it was toasted I rubbed a clove of garlic over it. So good!!

4. Julie says

Yum! Love bruschetta…and this looks great!
    Can't wait to see the movie…like I need anything else to give me more cravings :)

5. Marisa says

I loved that movie, too! I agree that it left your mouth just watering. I'll for sure have to try this bruschetta. It made my mouth water–just like in the movie!

6. Jane says

Oh yeah, that was a serious hunger- inducing scene alright! I've been wanting to make the bruschetta too, just like Julie did. Your recipe sounds perfect!

7. Anna in Austin says

Thank you so much for the brushetta recipe — it ALSO gave me a craving to make it! And I agree — Julia inspires me to be a better wife! xoxo

8. Nancy says

Hi all,

too funny, I thought the yellow color in the movie was yellow peppers. I also thought the basil in the movie was spinach. I went to grab my big tomato and it was yukky. so I sauteed yellow peppers, red peppers, onions and spinach in olive and garlic oil. I put butter on the bread but I baked them because I really do not like things fried.

I have to say they were amazing. I just had the rest for breakfast…..

I guess I made my own recipe :)