Chicken Tikka Masala

by Brittany on August 5, 2009

Have you all checked out The Pioneer Woman? I bet most of you know her website but if you don’t, check it out: thepioneerwoman.com!! Her recipes are delicious and I love how her funny personality comes to life in her writing. When I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it out…and I was not disappointed. It is so good! Serve it with some of Mel’s naan bread for a perfect homemade Indian dinner.

Pastor Ryan’s Chicken Tikka Masala
2 c Basmati rice
optional:
fresh cilantro
chili peppers
turmeric
frozen peas
Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with Kosher salt. Next sprinkle them on both sides with coriander and cumin. Then coat the chicken with the plain yogurt. Set the chicken on a metal cooling rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet and place it about 10-12 inches below a broiler for 5-7 minutes on each side. It should have slightly blackened edges. Remove from oven.
Next dice the onion and saute with 2 Tb butter over med-high heat until slightly browned. As the onions cook, mince your garlic and ginger (1×2 inch peeled chunk). Add to onions with 1 Tb salt.
At this point add 3 Tb Garam Masala spice (found in the spice section of the grocery store). If you like it hot, add a chili pepper or two. (I did a Serrano pepper and it tasted great.) Add the tomatoes and continue cooking and stirring, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Add about 1 Tb sugar and allow this mixture to simmer on medium for 5 minutes.
To a rice cooker add 2 cups Basmati rice, 4 Tb butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tb ground turmeric and 4 c water. Cover, turn on your rice cooker and walk away. If you do not have a rice cooker, cook your rice as usual but make sure you use Basmati. (The turmeric adds a very subtle flavor – it’s more about the vibrant yellow color it creates.)
After the Tikka Masala sauce has had a chance to simmer for a bit, add in the 1 1/2 c heavy cream. Now chop up your chicken breasts into chunks and add them into the sauce. A handful of chopped cilantro is a nice addition if you like cilantro. You can also throw some frozen peas into the cooked rice, give them a stir and allow the heat of the rice to cook the peas. It tastes great and gives another nice dash of color. Serve the rice with the Chicken Masala over the top. Make sure you have some Naan bread handy too.
~Pioneer Woman

1 Lynda August 5, 2009 at 8:02 pm

This looks wonderful…I've been meaning to try this from PW's site, but haven't yet. Your's turned out great!

2 Denise August 5, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I love tikka masala and all indian food. I have bookmrked this myself. Yours looks wonderful.

3 Memória August 6, 2009 at 1:46 am

I have made this dish twice, and I was going to make homemade paneer and paneer tikka masala for my vegetarian friend this week (didn't happen. oh well.). This really is a good dish and fun to make. I've been meaning to blog about it for some time now. YUM!

If you don't have yogurt (I rarely do), you can substitute it with buttermilk.

4 Erin August 6, 2009 at 6:28 am

WOW!That looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it out.
Love you sis!

5 Mindy August 6, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Ooo… I love Masala! I am excited to try this!

6 Libby August 10, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Ohhhh…that looks good! You guys have received an award from me. Check out my latest post to see :)

7 Melanie Anne August 11, 2009 at 7:43 pm

MMMMmm this looks soo good!! I can't wait to get moved in to my new home so I can make this!

8 susana August 14, 2009 at 4:13 am

Thanks for such a wonderful recipe…
___________________
Susana
Online Marketing of your brand

9 Erin September 18, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I made this for dinner last night and it was fantastic!

10 Melanie Anne September 22, 2009 at 7:04 am

I made this last night along with Naan and it was AMAZING! What a great recipe! We thought we were eating at Taste of Punjab! I think I am going to throw a dinner party and serve this. we loved it!

11 Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" October 6, 2009 at 12:30 am

How funny!! I just came back to catch up on your blog, and saw you made this too! We even blogged it the same day!! It's my first time ever having Indian, and have foudn myself thinking about it a couple times. The Naan I made was yummy too!

12 Elizabeth July 12, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Where did you buy your garam masala? It looks like a great recipe but I can't find the garam masala anywhere.

13 Elizabeth July 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm

14 Erin July 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Hi Elizabeth. One of my grocery stores did not carry it, but I tried another grocery store in my area and it did carry it. It was just with the other spices on the baking isle. I hope you can find it! It shouldn't be too difficult to find – it's not really that unique. I was surprised that one my grocery stores didn't have it. Anyway, good luck!!!