Barbecue Homestyle Ribs

by Mindy on April 16, 2009

This one is for your basketball playoffs menu! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this rib sauce. It is delicious and very forgiving. When I have more than 2lbs of ribs, I just add more catsup (the 36 oz bottle instead of the 24 oz) and it still turns out great. I’ve made these ribs for company several times now, and everyone always gobbles them up. It is also great on chicken.  Thanks to Ruth Gough for this recipe.

Barbecue Homestyle Ribs
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

2 lbs country style pork ribs, bone-in or boneless
1 large bottle of catsup
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 T. White Vinegar
3-5 drops liquid smoke
**To use sauce with chicken, add 1/2 cup cooking oil.

Combine catsup, oil (if using chicken), sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and liquid smoke – mix well.  Set aside.  Warm a small amount of oil in a frying pan and heat over medium-high.  Brown the outsides of the meat on all sides and salt and pepper to your liking.  You can add garlic or other seasonings you like here to spice things up.  Place the meat in a covered cooking pan (a 9×13 covered with foil works fine), pour the sauce over the meat and cover well.  Bake at 375 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours — more time, more tender.  Serve warm.  Ladle sauce over the served meat.

1 Melanie Anne April 16, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Those ribls look awesome!! My boys would love this dinner!

2 Kelly April 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm

How do you cook them?
*im a fan of your recipes

3 Bunny April 16, 2009 at 11:54 pm

You can make these on the grill right? The bbq sacue sounds really good , right up our alley!

4 Brittany April 17, 2009 at 12:05 am

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when you made these for Eric and I!! :)

5 The Duncan 5 April 17, 2009 at 12:07 am

What’s the cooking process?

6 Mindy April 17, 2009 at 2:33 am

Ok everybody… I can’t believe I forgot to type in the directions, but they are there now. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

7 Gina April 17, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I haven’t been a fan of ribs to much in the past, but recently I have been retrying them again and have to say I think I like them. Your recipe sounds good, so I believe I am going to try and make them at home.

Thanks

8 Elyse April 20, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Mmm, what a delicious sounding recipe! I was actually watching the play-offs yesterday and last night. I think my play-offs experience would definitely be more complete with these ribs!

9 Anonymous October 26, 2009 at 8:01 pm

What if I dont have any liquid smoke? Does it still turn out ok?

Thanks, Heidi

10 Erin October 31, 2009 at 2:17 am

Hi Heidi, sorry it's been a couple days. I thought I might as well answer your question since I use this recipe too. If you want to hold off on purchasing liquid smoke, I think you can go ahead and try the recipe without the liquid smoke and it will still be good. Of course the liquid smoke gives it a richer fuller flavor, and if you decide you like the recipe I would invest in a small bottle of liquid smoke. (It's not that expensive, from what I remember – and it lasts a long time.) I also use liquid smoke in fajitas and baked beans as well. :) Happy Cooking!

11 Marcie and Doug March 28, 2010 at 5:18 am

Ohhh my gosh these are to DIE for! We were visiting my parents this weekend and saw the local grocery store had ribs on sale so I found this recipe and we tried it. We were in heaven! d