Christmas Eggs

This recipe, like Chicken a la King, has been served for generations on Christmas in our family! (We have a lot of traditions!) We only have them on Christmas morning–and they are a VERY special treat!! Eggs cooked like this are AMAZINGLY wonderful! Mmmm–my boys actually ask for them at every holiday. They argue that we could call them Halloween/ Valentines (etc) eggs. Unlike Chicken a la King which is strictly only served on Christmas Eve, I have crumbled and made them maybe once or twice on other very special occasions–but, they are first and foremost Christmas Eggs.

Christmas Eggs

submitted by Melanie

12 eggs
1 pint whipping cream
Salt -I use kosher
Preheat oven to 350
Butter a muffin tin (or skip this step if you have one of my favorite Demarle muffin pans and they will not stick at all!)
Crack one egg in each muffin hole. Then open your carton of cream and pour maybe a couple of tablespoons on each one. Keep pouring and try to give each egg an equal amount until the cream carton is empty. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt on each one and then simply pop into the preheated oven. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, depending on how soft you like the yolk. Mmmm-spoon out the eggs and be sure to spoon the cream over each one!!

Comments

1. Bunny says

I ‘ve never seen these before! Do you serve them on toast?? What does the cream do to the eggs?? Ok I’ll stop asking questions!! LOL!! It looks very good!

2. Brittany says

It is FABULOUS!! It’s pretty much poached eggs in cream but the result is to die for! YUM! I have to say though that I think it ends up being at least 2-3 Tb of cream in each muffin cup though! Not very healthy but a delicious holiday treat! :)

3. Alisha says

Hmmm . . . interesting idea . . . I will try this in my Demarle muffin pan! ;)

Hope you had a great Christmas.

4. Jessie says

My Google Reader suggested this blog and I’m glad it did, because I made these eggs last night and they were AMAZING. The only thing is that they took quite a bit longer to cook than indicated in the recipe. Not sure what caused the difference? After 13 minutes, I scooped one out of the pan and it was almost entirely uncooked, except for the bottom. I put the rest in for another ten minutes and they were heavenly. The yolk was perfectly set. I can’t wait to make them again!

PS – I also made the Southwest chicken crockpot dinner, and it was equally delicious. Thanks guys!

5. Diane says

I make these all the time. I grate a tablespoon of parmesan cheese on top before I cook them. They take a long time to cook in the oven, so I make single portions in ramekins and throw them in the mircowave for 45 seconds. Perfecto!

6. Angela says

Mmmm I tried these out today because I'm looking for something quick to make for Christmas morning. They were yummy. The only problem I had was that they boiled over and made a big mess. Next time I will probably use a smaller sized egg.

7. Kathy says

We made these this morning and it was a big hit! It wasn't done at 12 minutes and I decided to go with another reader's comment and add another 10 minutes. Well, that was too long! We had hard boiled eggs – which was fine because my kids LOVE hard boiled eggs. We decided we're gonna give them another try Easter morning because we can't wait a whole year to have these again! ;) Thanks for sharing such a special recipe and tradition!!! My family loved them!

8. Michelle says

I made these this morning as well with our traditional monkey bread. So good! I did the same thing as the above poster, though. Cook them a bit longer like another reader had done and they came out like hard boiled eggs, too. Still so yummy, but not what I thought. I think I will try these again at Easter as well. Thanks for sharing! These will defiantly be added to our christmas breakfast morning from now on! :)

9. Erin says

I'm sorry these got over cooked for you guys this morning! I usually put the timer on for 13 minutes. This morning, for Christmas, I added three additional minutes. They were just right. I always add 1 T. cream to each egg, and they don't ever spill over. I am generous with the Kosher salt – I would say 4 pinches of Kosher salt for each muffin cup is just about right. I'm glad you'll use these as your traditional Christmas breakfast. They are wonderful!

10. Matt says

Ahh Melanie! It's fun to sometimes get on and check out my amazing sisters cooking blog. Today I noticed the holiday section and it brought back so many memories!! Chicken a la king! Grandma's homemade caramels! The caramel popcorn! chocolate peanuts! the TURTLES!! and of course, the poached eggs we've had for breakfast every christmas morning of my growing up life.

I love our family traditions. It was fun to remember- thanks. Wish we were seeing you and your men this Christmas but hope you have a wonderful holiday!

11. Chanel says

I am wondering if you could substitute half and half or milk etc. instead of whipping cream. Also if you have ever tried vegetables (peppers, mushrooms, etc.) in them as well and if the vegetables would be cooked enough time.

• Melanie says

Hi Chanel,
      I have never substitued anything for the cream–so i really don’t know if it would work. I can’t imagine it being as good, though! And I have never added any veggies either. We only have these once a year (maybe twice if my boys beg:) so I just enjoy this traditional family recipe as is. Let me know if you do change it up –I would be interested in how they turn out:)

12. Amanda says

I made the Christmas Eggs for brunch this year for Christmas. Very tasty. Unfortunately we had a couple of stragglers so they were over done, but they were still very good.

13. Stacey says

I just made these for breakfast this morning. They were perfectly delicious!! I put them in for 13 minutes and they came out great! When I first took them out I thought they looked a little soupy, but when I spooned them out they were just right! Such a simple recipe, but nothing I would have ever thought to put together. Mom and I loved them! Since there are only two of us, I only made three, soooo…I think I’ll be making some more for tomorrow morning! :) I love your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Trackbacks