Chicken Parmesan

by Brittany on October 1, 2008

I know everyone probably has a Chicken Parmesan recipe but you have still got to try this one…it is phenomenal! Mel gave me this recipe when I got married but I didn’t try it for at least a year…Chicken Parmesan sounds intimidating! However, this recipe is remarkably easy – especially if you do the Lowfat Version. I absolutely love it! There is something about the sauce that is addicting…can’t wait for you all to try it out!

Chicken Parmesan
submitted by Brittany

Sauce Ingredients:
2 Tb olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (approx 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cans Italian diced tomatoes
1 Tb sugar
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender and transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Chicken ingredients:
1-2 pounds chicken breasts
2 eggs
Italian breadcrumbs
1/4-1/2 c olive oil
8 oz very thinly sliced mozzarella
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Dip the chicken in egg and then in bread crumbs. Heat oil and cook chicken 2-3 minutes on each side. Put chicken on the bottom of a large baking dish (9×13). Put one thin slice of mozzarella and sprinkle parmesan on each breast and half of sauce on top. Repeat. Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with grated parmesan cheese.

Lowfat version: skip breading and frying of the chicken. Place the chicken raw in the dish and do one layer of the cheeses. I don’t even measure, I just sprinkle on grated mozzarella and parmesan then top with sauce. Bake a little longer – more like 40 minutes. It is fabulous!

1 nicole October 1, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I love chicken paramesan. Yours looks good.

2 Erin October 2, 2008 at 12:14 am

Oh, I can vouch that this is the absolute BEST chicken parmesan recipe in the whole world. Or atleast, of all the recipes I’ve ever tried, tasted, or dreamed about. :) This totally beats them all. And I don’t give out “5 Star” ratings very often. But I could gush and gush over this recipe for hours!

3 Amy October 2, 2008 at 5:52 am

I love this recipe too! I almost always make the low-fat version and love it just as well!

4 Sara October 2, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Your chicken parm looks delicious. I want to try this one!

5 Ruby October 8, 2008 at 6:20 am

This looks really good. I’m wondering about the salad in the photo…do you have that one on the blog? What do you call it? I did find one with strawberries,but it looked enough different that I thought I would just ask.

6 Brittany October 9, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Hi Ruby! That salad is just spinach, strawberry, avocado, and red onion with a poppyseed dressing (which is not posted) – it’s really good with toasted almonds or pecans too. I’ll try to post it soon though – it is a favorite!

7 Alisha October 28, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I made this for dinner last night–de-lish-us! Thanks

8 Beckey November 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I made this last night for dinner and my family LOVED it! Thank you!!! Hope you don’t mind if I gush about it on my blog…

9 Sanni May 8, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I just made this the other night, and was a little scared how I would do, because chicken parmesan is one of my husband’s favorite foods, he always orders it at italian restaurants. But when we ate it, he compared it to the chicken parmesan at carabbas! (saying that it was like that) Definately will make this again. I did the full version, and didn’t think that was that much work either.

10 Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 2:22 am

Hello! Melanie i would like to make this i just want to know how many oz is the canned italian tomatoes? thank you-steph

11 Melanie Anne November 10, 2009 at 3:09 am

Hi Steph,
I just use the standard size–I want to say it is 13-14oz. Hope that helps!

12 Anonymous November 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Thank you! -steph

13 Shannon January 6, 2010 at 2:19 am

mmmm….I made the Chicken Parmesan last night and the Mandarin chicken tonight….they are both YUMMY! I am going to pull a Julie-Julia and cook my way through your blog! lol Thanks for the recipes…my husband is grateful! :)

14 Melanie Anne January 6, 2010 at 2:42 am

Shannon,
I am so glad you like our recipes!! Thank you for the sweet comment!

15 sassygirl711 January 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm

tried this recipe last night, as the ingredients were all in my pantry or refrig, and we always have chicken ready to go from the freezer. Since I'm a WWatcher, I omitted the breading/frying part and used low fat mozzarella cheese, NOT fat free. Also used smart balance cooking spray for part of the 2T XVOO. Found skinless/boneless chicken cutlets from Whole Foods in the freezer, which I used. The sauce was amazing, the chicken juicy and tender. I will make this recipe again. Thanks for sharing!

16 Anonymous March 14, 2010 at 1:33 am

Thank you for such a great recipe. My kids and husband loved it! Julie B.

17 Juniel Bingham September 19, 2010 at 2:54 am

Oh my goodness! Can you say "the Olive Garden Recipe?!?!" SO good! Thanks for all your great recipes! Every night I've used one of your guys' recipes and I've finally been getting compliments on my cooking! :) Thanks so much! You girls are FANTASTIC!

18 The Anderson's November 7, 2010 at 1:30 am

Made this tonight, definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

19 Liz December 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I made the lowfat version and loved it! My one question is are you supposed to drain the tomatoes? I didn’t and it seems as if there is a lot of juice.