Pumpkin Bars

I found this delicious recipe on My Kitchen Cafe, where Melanie in turn gives credit to Paula Deen. Let me just say, my husband and I are suckers for anything pumpkin! So when I saw this recipe it didn’t matter that it was almost 100 degrees out…. we couldn’t wait for “pumpkin season.” And our impatience was rewarded! These bars are incredible. However, I did think the name was a little deceiving. They turned out more like a dense cake in the 9×13 pan. Next time I want to try making it on two cookie sheets (or splitting it between two 9×13 pans) for a thinner bar. Either way, these are truly heavenly. This might be my new favorite pumpkin dessert!

Pumpkin Bars

1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan (I used 9×13). Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

Comments

1. Melanie C. says

Mindy brought this over on Sunday to share–it was divine!! Really great–we LOVED it!! Thanks Mindy! This is definetly my new favorite pumpkin dessert!

2. eldivenlerim says

this cake look very yummy:) and, other recipes are very appetizing in your blog :) thanks for sharing….

3. Carolynn says

MINDY, I have been making this recipe for many years-over 25 years in fact– recipe given to me by my grandmother. WE (my grandmother and I)always use the jellyroll size pan– 10″x15″ I believe, when we make the Pumpkin Bars. It is the perfect size and turns out enough bars for a crowd!

4. Jeanene says

We love our pumpkin bar recipe, which is basically the same, except it has raisins & walnuts! You need to try it, and I also make it in the jelly roll pan, then double the icing recipe ~ the bars & the frosting are about equal in height ~ what's not to like?! You'll love it!!

5. SevenEmery's says

We love this recipe every autumn! Try it in a 15 x 10, jelly roll pan next time. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. This is what I use in Michigan, adjust for Utah baking. This is so wonderfully moist.

6. Susan says

What a great tried and true recipe. I made these in a jelly roll pan with the frosting as posted (not doubled) and there was p-lenty of frosting. I also subbed 1/2 applesauce for the oil (as suggested by Melanie), cut the eggs to 3 and used 1/2 white whole wheat for the flour for a little more fiber. This version was really, really tasty, moist and VERY well-received at a picnic. Thanks for posting!

Trackbacks