Cinnabun Cake

by Erin on June 13, 2008

This cake is so yummy! It’s sweet, moist, and I’ve been told that it tastes just like a real cinnabun. :) (I haven’t had a cinnabun in YEARS so I don’t think I would know! But this cake does taste fabulous, so I believe them!) I found the recipe a long time ago (it seems like) on Picky Palate and have made it a few times. It’s always a big hit.

The first time I made it I made a half recipe and used a 9×9 glass pan. Just before I was about to put it in the oven, I realized that the melted butter that is supposed to go in the batter was still sitting in the microwave! I ended up trying to swirl the melted butter into the cake at that point, but I only added half the butter. Well, it turned out great!! The next time I made this cake, I did the full recipe and again used only half the butter in the batter. Everyone loved it. Consequently, I cut down the amount of butter in the recipe. The original recipe calls for 1 cube of butter, but I cut it down to 4 T., as you can see.
I hope you try it out! I’m sure you’ll love it, as well as everyone else you serve it to. :)

Cinnabun Cake

2 T. flour
1 T. cinnamon
2/3 cups nuts, optional

2 cups powdered sugar
5 T. milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In an electric or stand mixer mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Once combined well, slowly stir in melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix the 2 sticks of softened butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts until well combined. Drop evenly over cake batter by the tablespoonfuls and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center.
Place powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 Steph June 13, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I think I’ve died and gone to heaven! Must make cake now!!!!

2 Brittany June 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Yummy! Looks pretty rich! I’ll have to try this soon…

3 Kylie Walker June 15, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Oh man Erin… Nate’s not eating sweets again, but I think I will have to make this even though I will be the only person to eat it! Or maybe I shouldn’t… ;) It looks really yummy!

4 camille June 16, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Erin, you saved my father’s day dinner! Patrick wanted cinnamon rolls and I didn’t have the energy to be in the kitchen all day! This cake was SO yummy. I even had it for breakfast this morning! :)

5 Mindy June 18, 2008 at 12:17 am

Mmm… would you make that for me when I come to visit? Please? :)

6 Heather June 18, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I just made this cake last night. It was to die for! Our whole family loved it. Thank you so much for sharing!

7 Wills Kitchen July 24, 2008 at 5:20 pm

We made this last weekend and it was so good we did add pecans to the top. We are posting a picture on our blog thanks for a great recipe.

8 Kayla Hewitt February 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I just made this cake and “Wow!” It is amazing. I have to admit I doubted it would taste just like a cinnamon roll, but it does! I brought it to a church event, and it was gone before any other dessert. Thanks for the recipe.

9 n82 May 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I halved this recipe and it was delicious! Thank you! So much quicker to make than cinnamon buns!

10 Kami August 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I loved the concept of this cake. I LOVE cinnamon rolls but my husband doesn’t…he does however like cake so I thought this would be a nice compromise. However, the whole title of “cinnabun” is very misleading. Cinnabon leaves you with an oogey gooey sticky mess and most importantly is loaded with a cream cheese frosting. I made the recipe twice: first time I followed it exactly and found it okay, but definitely not something I would make again, at least like that. Second time, I added some sour cream and a bit of oil to the cake batter. (I thought it was a tad dry in the original recipe) and then I did 1.5 times the cinnamon mixture in it. Then, instead of icing, cream cheese frosting. Now I can’t stay out of it because it’s too stinkin’ yummy, or at least to my personal taste as I know everyone prefers different things. Soooo…if you’re after the real cinnabun flavor it needs some tweaking, but if you want a decent coffee cake with icing, it’s fine as is.