Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

by Erin on February 21, 2008

Ah, fresh bread from the oven. Heavenly! This is the Bosch recipe for Whole Wheat Bread, and it’s the best homemade bread I have ever tasted. (Actually, the instructions are different from the Bosch recipe, but the ingredients are the same. The instructions follow the way my friend, Rebecca, makes bread. And she is famous for her incredible homemade bread!) This recipe is no-fail, and I love love love it. I nearly always make it with all wheat flour, but sometimes if I don’t have quite enough flour, and I don’t feel like grinding more, I will use half wheat and half white, which is pictured above. I used to half this recipe when I made it because I didn’t think five loaves were necessary. But now I always make a full batch because after the bread has baked, I slice the extra loaves and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. I do that because I prefer fresh bread, and I won’t eat it after a few days. (Bread is always best the first day.) So we eat one loaf for a few days and then after that I remove slices of bread from the freezer whenever we want bread the rest of the week. When you defrost it in the microwave for a few seconds, it turns out soft and moist and delicious! (I haven’t had the same great results from freezing an entire loaf unsliced.)
You can opt to make four loaves of bread and one pizza crust. Just put 1/5 (actually, a little less) of the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rise for a while and then use it as a pizza crust. This dough can also be used for whole wheat cinnamon rolls. Yum!
Here’s a tip: when I grind my wheat I do enough for a few batches of bread. I use 16 cups that morning for a batch, and then I freeze the remaining flour. Then I don’t have to grind wheat the next time I want to make whole wheat bread,  muffins, pancakes or whatever. Flour in the freezer will keep its nutritional value for three months. You don’t need to bring it to room temperature when you use it.

Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
submitted by Erin
printable recipe here (with picture )

6 cups warm water
2/3 cup oil (or ¼ c. oil and ½ c. applesauce)
2/3 cup honey
8 cups freshly milled Whole Wheat Flour (additional flour needed later)
2 Tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten
2 Tbsp. Dough Enhancer
2-3 Tbsp. SAF instant yeast
8 additional cups freshly milled Whole Wheat Flour (original recipe says 4-8 cups)
2 Tbsp. salt

In the Bosch mixing bowl, combine water, oil, and honey. Next add 8 cups of freshly ground wheat flour. On top of the flour, add Vital Wheat Gluten, Dough Enhancer and SAF instant yeast. “Jog” on and off so that flour won’t rise out of the mixing bowl. Mix on Speed 1 until smooth. Sit for 10 minutes to sponge.
Add salt. Add 7 cups of additional freshly milled whole wheat flour, turn it on speed 2 to combine. If it is still wet then add additional 1 cup of flour. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl.
Turn your mixer to speed 2 and knead for about 7-10 minutes. Once you start kneading you shouldn’t add any more flour. The dough should continue to clean the sides of the bowl. Check after 7 minutes by stretching a little bit in your oiled fingers; if holes develop, knead longer. If you can see through dough, but holes don’t develop, it is finished kneading.
Empty dough onto an oiled surface and cover dough with oil by flipping it on the counter. Shape dough into 5 loaves by folding under itself so the top is smooth. Place into oiled bread pans to rise. Cover lightly with a light cloth.
Rising time will be about 2-3 hours at room temperature.
When the loaves are fully risen, the dough should be above the pan about 1 ½ inches (depending on how much dough you made your loaf out of.) You should be able to put a small dent in the side of one of the loaves with your finger and the dent will not come back out, or it will come back very slowly.
Place loaves into a cool oven (not preheated). Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.

1 Melanie February 21, 2008 at 4:42 pm

This is the same recipe I use and I love it, too! I’ve never thought to slice my bread before putting it in the freezer (duh!) so thanks for the tip. Also, do you grind your wheat in your kitchen? That’s where I do it but it makes SUCH a mess. Ugh. I think I’m going to have to start doing it on the back porch once the weather is warmer.

2 Brittany and Eric February 21, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Looks fabulous! All i need now is a wheat grinder! :)

3 Amy February 21, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Erin, I love you! You have no idea how much I’ve been wanting a good whole wheat bread recipe. Matt got me a Nutrimill for XMas and I’ve just started using it. Thanks for all the tips too. I know, all the recipes are for like 6 loaves. I’m going to try this out this week hopefully. This is maybe a dumb question but do you use this recipe for w.w rolls too?

4 Erin February 21, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Yes, I’ve used it for rolls before. It can be used for bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crust. It’s awesome, because with one-half batch you can make a pizza, a loaf of bread, AND a pan of cinnamon rolls! :)

5 Melanie C. February 22, 2008 at 4:35 am

Mmmm–I agree Erin–warm homemade bread is heavenly!!

6 Tara February 24, 2008 at 3:52 pm

WOW, what a fun blog Erin!!! I was telling Melody last July that I LOVE her recipes and yours too, and I can always trust that making one with your name on it is a great idea. We still eat your blender waffles at least twice a week!! My favorite is with your coconut syrup — YUMMY!!!!

7 Amy February 26, 2008 at 3:53 am

YUM!! Erin, you look like you are a fabulous cook!! You are an inspiration to me! I’ve peeked at your blog a time or two… your kids are darling!!! When are you coming home for a visit? I’d love to see you! This recipe looks delicious! Where do you find the dough enhancer? Love you!

8 Melissa February 26, 2008 at 8:16 pm

I haven’t bought bread for months, I only make this fabulous recipe! It is SOOOOOO GOOD!

9 Anonymous April 23, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I would love the recipe for the blender waffles with coconut syrup that is mentioned here!

10 Melanie C. May 13, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Hi erin–I tried this recipe yesterday–it is a little different than the Bosch one I have. I like all your discriptions in the directions. It turned out just perfect! I made rolls with it too for dinner. IT was abig hit! Thanks!

11 jen k. August 6, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Can you tell me what the difference is between SAF instant yeast and just regular yeast? Can I make this recipe using regular yeast, the kind you buy at Costco? Also, do you know where I can buy dough enhancer and what it looks like? I checked today at Whole Foods and Sunflower Market and didn’t find it at either place. Thanks so much! Jen K.

12 jen k. August 6, 2008 at 10:19 pm

One more quick question: What is Real salt? Sorry!! Just trying to figure this bread thing out. Thank you!

13 Erin August 7, 2008 at 12:29 am

Hi Jen,
SAF instant yeast is a superior yeast than any other kind. Everybody agrees on that, but I have to confess that I use Red Star or Fleischman active dry yeast only because SAF yeast isn’t easily available where I live. But if you could find it, I would highly recommend it. It will make your bread turn out better. Also, I have met a few people who swear by “RealSalt”. It’s an all natural, kosher sea salt. I have never used it, so I’m not a believer. I have meant to change that in this recipe for a long time, so that it calls for regular salt, but I keep forgetting. I only ever use regular salt. Sorry to be misleading!
I would have recommended a health food store for finding Dough Enhancer, but apparently that hasn’t worked for you. I got my 1 lb can from a Bosch demonstrator. I am almost positive that you can purchase it from a Bosch store. If you copy and paste this URL into your web browser, you can see a picture of the can of dough enhancer that I use. http://store.avantgardegadgets.com/860901.html
Perhaps if you called around to other health food stores you could find some? I’d be really surprised if you couldn’t find any…. It is SO WORTH THE EFFORT TO FIND IT! Dough Enhancer and vital wheat gluten are MUST HAVES in homemade bread.
Let me know if you have any other questions and how this bread turns out for you!

14 jen k. August 8, 2008 at 4:14 am

Erin,
The bread turned out so great! I made 3 loaves of bread and 2 pizza crusts and a small pan of cinnamon rolls and it was all so yummy. On the pizza I put regular pizza sauce on half, and no sauce on the other half, mozzarella cheese, basil and tomatoes out of the garden, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil – we all loved it. The kids took the rest in their lunches today. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I experimented wrapping one of the loaves in foil while warm and freezing it after reading advice in another recipe on this blog. Have you ever tried this? I wasn’t sure if you wrap it and put it into the freezer right away or if you wrap it in foil, let it cool, then freeze. I threw it into the freezer warm. We’ll see how it turns out! P.S. My regular bread recipe is almost identical to yours – the only difference is it has only 5 cups of water and it also has 3 eggs. (It calls for the dough enhancer and gluten, but I have never tried it that way.) It’s all my 5 kids and husband will eat. They are spoiled.

15 Erin August 8, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Jen, I’m so glad it turned out yummy! I’ve never tried wrapping my bread in foil to freeze it. Brittany gave that tip in her whole wheat bread recipe – I don’t know if she lets it cool first or not. But I think I will try it next time I make bread. I usually use a plastic freezer bag, and then I take out slices of bread as we want them, and leave the rest in the freezer bag in the freezer. (I slice my bread before freezing it.) Anyway, I think I might make this today. Yum yum!

16 Julie March 8, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Hi, you don’t know me. I found a link to your blog from a friends blog and have been blog stalking you for probably six months now. I just wanted to thank you for all of the wonderful recipes! I just made this wheat bread today, in fact it just came out of the oven about 10 minutes ago. I couldn’t wait to taste it! It is freakin’ awesome good! In fact all of the recipes that I have tried off your blog have been amazing. So thanks!
Julie

17 Erica August 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hi!
My sister in law loves this recipe! She uses it all the time and shares her bread with neighbors and friends. It’s built up quite the reputation. I tried making this twice now and the bread is not rising. I used saf instant yeast, which I tested prior-it smells yeasty and foams with water and sugar. I made it exactly according to the directions. Just not sure why it is not rising. Is it my altitude? (5,000 ft). Do I need the dough to rise in a warm place? Do I need to let the yeast dissolve in the warm water and then add the flour? I really want this recipe to come out. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Erica

18 Erin August 12, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hi Erica!
I let the bread dough rise on the counter in my kitchen, not necessarily in a warm place… just free of drafts. You could try to place it in a warmer location, though. Altitude and humidity do have a factor in yeast dough, but you should still be able to get this to work in either case. SAF instant yeast does not need to be dissolved in warm water beforehand although it does not hurt to do so.
The problem isn’t that the bread is falling after being baked, right? If that was the problem, you are simply letting it rise too long. But it sounds like the dough is actually not rising. How does it turn out when you bake it?
I assume your yeast is not past the expiration date or too old? That could be a factor even though it seems to be fine when you test it. (My good friend said she could never get her bread to turn out as fluffy and nice as she wanted when we lived near each other in Michigan. She recently moved to Wyoming and informed me that her bread is AWESOME! She thinks it is because she threw out all her ingredients and started with fresh, new ingredients.)
Following the recipe exactly and using fresh ingredients are the two most obvious points… If you are still having trouble, I can email you directly. Don’t give up!! There has got to be something that we can pinpoint that can be causing it!